[comp.sys.atari.st] nroff on st

UUCJEFF@ECNCDC.BITNET (07/27/88)

Has anyone heard of it, public domain or otherwise?  hacked or commercial?

Jeff Beer, UUCJEFF@ECNCDC  "I shoot first, it is my only weapon against fate"
                           - says Lemmy  Caution to Alpha 60 in "Alphaville"

mikew@wheeler.wrcr.unr.edu (Mike Whitbeck) (07/30/88)

In article <8807271425.AA06936@ucbvax.berkeley.edu> UUCJEFF@ECNCDC.BITNET writes:
>Has anyone heard of it, public domain or otherwise?  hacked or commercial?
>
>Jeff Beer, UUCJEFF@ECNCDC  "I shoot first, it is my only weapon against fate"
>                           - says Lemmy  Caution to Alpha 60 in "Alphaville"

"The Catalog" lists a PD 'roff' - never tried it.
I would surely love to have some document building software like
LaTex, eqn, tbl, ditroff... for the ST with filters for
PostScript, Imagen or HP!!

If any one knows of such please post!!

|Mike Whitbeck             |                              |
|Desert Research Inst.     | mikew@wheeler.wrc.unr.edu    |

rosenkra@Alliant.COM (Bill Rosenkranz) (07/30/88)

---
In article <8807271425.AA06936@ucbvax.berkeley.edu> UUCJEFF@ECNCDC.BITNET sez:
->Has anyone heard of it, public domain or otherwise?  hacked or commercial?
->
->Jeff Beer, UUCJEFF@ECNCDC  "I shoot first, it is my only weapon against fate"
->                           - says Lemmy  Caution to Alpha 60 in "Alphaville"

there is a work-alike called proff which ain't too bad. i hacked a tmac.ac
file for it which almost works but proff has problems. another alternative
is to get nr (from Dr. Dobbs Journal books), Alan Holub's nroff and port it.
cost is about $30 for src and PC executable.

incidently if anyone has src to proff, could u PLEASE mail it to me. otherwise
i'm force to write my own nroff from scratch. PLEASE...

-bill
...!linus!alliant!rosenkra
...!rutgers!mit-eddie!alliant!rosenkra
rosenkra@alliant.COM

kg@elan.UUCP (Ken Greer) (07/30/88)

From article <2171@alliant.Alliant.COM>, by rosenkra@Alliant.COM (Bill Rosenkranz):
> ---
> In article <8807271425.AA06936@ucbvax.berkeley.edu> UUCJEFF@ECNCDC.BITNET sez:
> ->Has anyone heard of it, public domain or otherwise?  hacked or commercial?
> ->
>
> there is a work-alike called proff which ain't too bad. i hacked a tmac.ac
> file for it which almost works but proff has problems. another alternative
> is to get nr (from Dr. Dobbs Journal books), Alan Holub's nroff and port it.
> cost is about $30 for src and PC executable.

Elan Computer Group sells a package called NROFF/PC including:

	Nroff, Tbl, Neqn, MM macros, MAN Macros, Checkmm, and User manual

all for $99.  The code is honest-to-god Nroff, et. al., from AT&T,
ported to DOS (with enhancements for speed under DOS).  Contact:

	Elan Computer Group, Inc.
	410 Cambridge Avenue, Suite A
	Palo Alto, CA 94306
	415-322-2450

If you can't afford the $99, Alan's is a pretty good deal at $30 (besides,
he's a nice guy too.)  However, from our use, it does not appear to be
completely compatible with UNIX Nroff.  For example, AT&T Tbl does not work
with it.
--
Ken Greer
Elan Computer Group, Inc.

to_stdnet@stag.UUCP (08/02/88)

From: thelake!steve@stag.UUCP (Steve Yelvington)

Shortly after I received version 2.0 of Mark Johnson's C compiler,
I went looking for code to compile to test it. One of the things I found
was a PD "nroff" for the IBM PC. It was pretty much self-contained
(didn't rely on esoteric library functions) so it compiled right off.

It seems to work just fine and it includes a couple of .MAC example
files. However, it's smaller and probably less complete than proff.
And, like proff, it doesn't support anything more sophisticated than
a vanilla printer.

I'll mail it off to lakesys (binaries and sources). Perhaps some wizard
would like to build on it.

 *___________________________________________________________________*
 | thelake!steve@stag.UUCP /  ...decvax!pwcs!stag!thelake!steve      |
 | Steve Yelvington/1392 Brandlwood Rd./White Bear Lake MN 55110 USA |
 | "A member of STdNet -- to join, send mail to ftg!dwm@stag.UUCP"   |

wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) (08/04/88)

In article <8807271425.AA06936@ucbvax.berkeley.edu>, UUCJEFF@ECNCDC.BITNET writes:
> Has anyone heard of it, public domain or otherwise?  hacked or commercial?

Mark Williams sells a typsetter that is essentially the 20 or so most
used nroff commands for the ST.  The package is called Let's Write or
something like that.  Since it's from MWC, I would assume it is pretty
much bug-free.

Your other option, if you have a good C compiler (such as MWC :-) would
be to get the NR package from M&T Books.  This is the company that
publishes Dr. Dobb's Journal.  Allen Holub wrote an nroff clone for the
PC in a series of articles, and the book and disk together cost only
(frantic pawing through a six-month stack of Dr. Dobb's, Byte, Computer
Language, Unix Review, Unix World, Micro Systems Journal, Yachting, and
Sailing World finally reveals...) $29.95 (C source on the disk).  I
haven't tried porting this to the ST, but most of his programs port
pretty well.

		NR: An Implementation of the Unix NROFF Word Processor
		Allen Holub
		M&T Books
		Item #33-X
		501 Galveston Dr.
		Redwood City, CA  94063
		1 800 356 2002 in Ca
		1 800 356 4372 USA
--
                     {hpda, uwmcsd1}!sp7040!obie!wes
           "Happiness lies in being priviledged to work hard for