[comp.sys.atari.st] How often does a typical laser printer Jam?

Friesen@HIS-PHOENIX-MULTICS.ARPA (07/31/88)

I own an epson FX-86e, and I cannot print anything without watching it
or else it will jam up.  It seems like the copiers I use always jam up.
Well what about laser printers.  Do they often jam, or is it rare?

Aric Friesen

Addresses:  Genie:  A.FRIESEN ARPA:  Friesen%PCO@BCO-MULTICS.ARPA

"Lenny, ya durned fool, ya bought an Amiga!" "Gee George, I squashed the
mouse!"
                                       ---"Of Mice and Men"

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (08/02/88)

From article <880730235558.057992@HIS-PHOENIX-MULTICS.ARPA>, by
Friesen@HIS-PHOENIX-MULTICS.ARPA:
> I own an epson FX-86e, and I cannot print anything without watching it
> or else it will jam up.  It seems like the copiers I use always jam up.
> Well what about laser printers.  Do they often jam, or is it rare?
> Aric Friesen

I have NEVER seen an Atari SLM804 jam.  We use one as the line printer
for our UNIX VAX (unattended), and there are lots running around being
used for internal memos, development of desktop publishing, and the
like.  I have NEVER heard of one jamming.

wheels@mks.UUCP (Gerry Wheeler) (08/02/88)

In article <880730235558.057992@HIS-PHOENIX-MULTICS.ARPA>, Friesen@HIS-PHOENIX-MULTICS.ARPA writes:
> Well what about laser printers.  Do they often jam, or is it rare?

In the 1.5 years I've had access to a laser printer, I think it has
jammed less than 10 times. We use a DEC LN03 printer, and also a
H-P Laserjet. No problems.
--
     Gerry Wheeler                           Phone: (519)884-2251
Mortice Kern Systems Inc.               UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!wheels

pes@ux63.bath.ac.uk (Smee) (08/04/88)

Occasionally you find a rogue laser printer (or photocopier, which uses the
same sort of feed mechanism).  However, usually (very usually) the problem
is 'user error'.  The beasts are fussy about how their paper is loaded.
Not surprisingly -- the mechanism required to pick 1 *one* 1 exactly sheet
of paper from a stack time after time is very fiddly.  So, follow the
that needs to be slid against one edge or the other should be, as precisely
as you can manage but without forcing it.

Other hints:

1) Don't mix paper.  Run it until it is empty and then put in a new full
stack.  If you want to refill it before it is empty, throw out (or save for
later) the remnants of the old stack.  Adding new paper to an old stack is
asking for trouble.

2) While us humans might not notice the difference, printer feeders often
care which side of the paper is up.  (I think this is related to which way
it was curled on the roll before it was cut into sheets and packaged.)
Paper-making technology is such that if you stick with one brand of paper,
it will be consistently packaged at least -- so once you've worked out which
is the right way up relative to the top of the box, or the seam side of the
wrapper, or whatever, stick with that.  If you find a stack giving real
trouble, try unloading it and putting it in other side up.

3) Paper dimensions vary with humidity by a surprising amount, so try to
find somewhere for your printer which provides as stable an environment as
possible.

jansen@atari.UUCP (Mark O. Jansen) (08/05/88)

in article <880730235558.057992@HIS-PHOENIX-MULTICS.ARPA>, Friesen@HIS-PHOENIX-MULTICS.ARPA says:

> I own an epson FX-86e, and I cannot print anything without watching it
> or else it will jam up.  It seems like the copiers I use always jam up.
> Well what about laser printers.  Do they often jam, or is it rare?

In my experience, I haven't had jamming problems with the SLM804 I've been
using here for many months; in fact, mine is a very early SLM804, and has led
full and productive life.  No plans for retirement yet.

There are occasional mishaps, but as long as the paper is loaded correctly,
and it wasn't crumpled into a little ball and then stuffed into the paper
tray, it works fine.  I feel perfectly happy starting the machine doing a

--
 "Question" Mark Jansen             UUCP: ...ames!atari!jansen
  Atari Corporation                 BIX/GEnie: mjansen

jansen@atari.UUCP (Mark O. Jansen) (08/05/88)

> I own an epson FX-86e, and I cannot print anything without watching it
> or else it will jam up.  It seems like the copiers I use always jam up.
> Well what about laser printers.  Do they often jam, or is it rare?

I forgot; I should define what I mean by "jam".  A little red light with the
international "paper jam" symbol comes on, and the printer stops and waits
patiently for you to clear the paper path (no big deal.)  I have never seen
an SLM804 actually EAT anything, or grind it up into little tiny shreds, or...

You get the picture :-)

--
 "Question" Mark Jansen             UUCP: ...ames!atari!jansen
  Atari Corporation                 BIX/GEnie: mjansen
 These views do not necessarily reflect those of Atari Corporation.
 "Dul-lard, DUL-LARD!  We aren't a very good listener, ARE we, Dullard?"

kurth@sco.COM (Kurt Hutchison) (08/07/88)

I used to have problems with printers until a repairperson told me
once that the sensors will not-operate correctly if a little bit
of dust gets on them (ergo detect jams that aren't there).

In liu of a full cleaning (which should be done peridically) I
used to just blow into the mechanism and that cleared up the
problems. Some machines have dust sensors built in which
are designed to make you keep the machine clean.

				- kurth
Kurt Hutchison		The Santa Cruz Operation	Software Engineer
Trumpet player, synth player, pianist, cyclist, philosopher at large
The above opinions (if any) are my own