[comp.sys.atari.st] JET!

stowe@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (holly) (07/22/88)

Okay, sports fans!  This is what you've been waiting to hear.

JET was supposed to be delivered to your friendly neighborhood distributor
sometime between today and Monday, which means your friendly neighborhood
software dealer could have it on the shelves any day now!  List is $49.95.

YIPPEE!!

Me to my business partner:  "Honest, I only opened this copy to make sure
it worked correctly.  We wouldn't want to sell defective software, now
would we?"  Heh heh heh...  *grin*  Think he'll believe me?

                                 Signed,

                                     Joe Isuzu

(Except the first part really is truly true... got the word from two different
distributors!)

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!

merlyn@intelob.intel.com (Randal L. Schwartz @ Stonehenge) (08/08/88)

In article <2026@silver.bacs.indiana.edu>, stowe@silver (holly) writes:

| Okay, sports fans!  This is what you've been waiting to hear.
|
| JET was supposed to be delivered to your friendly neighborhood distributor
| sometime between today and Monday, which means your friendly neighborhood
| software dealer could have it on the shelves any day now!  List is $49.95.
|

| YIPPEE!!

Don't hold your breath.  After play-testing mine for a couple of
hours, I'm ready to take it back.  I'm sorry, but I got spoiled on the
quality of FS-II (also from Sublogic), Gunship, and Carrier Command.
JET! is a hoax, a sheep in wolves' clothing.

Main problem: the graphics are cool... too cool.  There's just too
much for the poor ole' CPU to keep redrawing.  And, while it is busy
taking the 0.8-1.2 seconds (!) to recompute the screen, you've zoomed
about 660 feet and possibly done 180 degrees of a barrel roll.  No
way.  Not anywhere's enough feedback.  Heck, even the "auto-level"
mode can't move the stick fast enough to hold you steady!!  And,
that's the computer making "perfect" calculations.

I repeat.  The program is a joke.  Darn.  I'd really hoped for the
next step up.  Go get Harrier Attack if you wanna shoot down things
with a jet.  I'll stick with Gunship for shooting, and FS-II for
flying.  (And Carrier Command for complexity :-).
--
Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095
on contract to BiiN Technical Publications (for now :-), Hillsboro, Oregon

dragon@olivej.atc.OLIVETTI.COM (Give me a quarter or I'll touch you) (08/09/88)

In article <3736@omepd>, merlyn@intelob.intel.com (Randal L. Schwartz @ Stonehenge) writes:

> Main problem: the graphics are cool... too cool.  There's just too
> much for the poor ole' CPU to keep redrawing.  And, while it is busy
> taking the 0.8-1.2 seconds (!) to recompute the screen, you've zoomed
> about 660 feet and possibly done 180 degrees of a barrel roll.  No
> way.  Not anywhere's enough feedback.  Heck, even the "auto-level"
> mode can't move the stick fast enough to hold you steady!!  And,
> that's the computer making "perfect" calculations.
>
> I repeat.  The program is a joke.  Darn.  I'd really hoped for the
> next step up.  Go get Harrier Attack if you wanna shoot down things
> with a jet.  I'll stick with Gunship for shooting, and FS-II for
> flying.  (And Carrier Command for complexity :-).

It seems that the speed of JET is inversely proportional to the amount of
memory one has on an ST.  For instance, a friend and I tried JET on the
various STs we have, and came up with the following:

520STfm, 512K:		JET runs great, acceptably fast
1040STf, 1024K:		a bit slow--playable, but most won't like it
1040STf, 2.5MB:		much slower than 1 meg, unacceptable
Mega 4, 4MB:		way too slow.  For launching, one screen refresh
			when you start, another when you are in the air.
			*Very* unacceptable.

We haven't tried running any reset-proof ramdisks or such to resize
apparent memory.  I'll report on this as soon as the attempt is made.

> --
> Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095
> on contract to BiiN Technical Publications (for now :-), Hillsboro, Oregon
> <merlyn@intelob.intel.com> or ...!tektronix!ogcvax!omepd!intelob!merlyn
> Standard disclaimer: I *am* my employer!

----
Dean Brunette               {ucbvax,etc.}!hplabs!oliveb!olivej!dragon
Olivetti Advanced Technology Center     _____   _____   __|__   _____
20300 Stevens Creek Blvd.              |     |  _____|    |    |
Cupertino, CA 95014                    |_____| |_____|    |__  |_____
"Move inside my daydream, like fingers in a glove; Dancing round and
 round and round and round and round with love!" --The Glove