[comp.sys.atari.st] Rumours for Summer

euloth@dalcsug.UUCP (George Seto) (08/08/88)

This was posted on a BBS in New York. It mentions some rumours from the
August issue of ST-Log. Can anyone else confirm if any of these are true?

=>From    : Bob Mulholland
=>Subject : New News?
=>
=>Well, I did read some rumours in ST-Log (August issue). A third party is
=>working on GEM 2.2, which is now be marketed in Germany. It comes with GEM
=>Write, GEM Paint and GEM Draw. Atari may have the PC emulator out by this
=>Fall. Atari will be shipping the Imagen Postscript software clone called
=>UltraScript for the laser printers. Oh yeah, the price on GEM 2.2 is
=>300dm, which is about $148.00. Please don't anyone send me any nasty mail
=>about where are these products or "oh sure, will see them at crack of doom
=>with the rest of the vaporware." Remember, someone asked what was
=>happening and I'm QUOTING ST-Log (I hold no responsibility whether or not
=>they come true).

Has anyone out there heard anything about any of these? I seem to recall
hearing some time ago about the UltraScript. The other stuff is interesting
but new. Hope someone can confirm or deny some of these.

Thanks.

* euloth@dalcsug.uucp  || Disclaimer: All opinions are my own unless other-   *
* /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ ||             wise noted.			      *
****AKA: Atari Nut*************************************************************

good@atari.UUCP (Roy Good) (08/09/88)

in article <523@dalcsug.UUCP>, euloth@dalcsug.UUCP (George Seto) says:

> This was posted on a BBS in New York. It mentions some rumours from the
> August issue of ST-Log. Can anyone else confirm if any of these are true?
>  [stuff deleted]
> =>A third party is working on GEM 2.2, which is now be marketed in Germany.
It is true that AMC in Germany has been working on a GDOS clone, with
performance improvements. Atari US is also working on an enhanced version
of GDOS, due for Beta later this year in conjunction with other products.  The
Atari version will include other major enhancements as well as addressing
performance issues. It will also be thoroughly tested for compatibility.
> Atari may have the PC emulator out by this Fall.
PC-Ditto has, of course, been out for a long time. The emulator being referred
to was contracted to a thrid party, who appears to have some difficulty in
the final stages. This is not a project I have any direct involvement with.
Atari will be shipping the Imagen Postscript software clone called
> =>UltraScript for the laser printers.
This, with other associated software, is also due for Beta later this year.

AS WITH "TOS", WE WILL POST FULL DETAILS OF THE NEW PRODUCTS AS THEY
APPROACH FINAL STAGES OF ALPHA TEST. PRODUCT FEATURES (AND SCHEDULES!) CHANGE
AS A RESULT OF TESTING AND MARKET TIMING, WHICH IS THE PRIMARY REASON I DO
NOT POST INFORMATION BEFORE I THINK IT IS DEFINITIVE.

Roy J. Good
Product Development, Atari Corporation

Views expressed are my own. Atari may agree or disagree; they have the right.