[comp.sys.atari.st] Info-Atari16 Digest V88 #344

URZ90@DMSWWU1A.BITNET (Rainer Perske) (08/12/88)

Andreas Schrimpf writes:

>Date: Mon, 08 Aug 88 10:23:19 CET
>To: INFO-ATARI16@SCORE.STANFORD.EDU
>From: SCHRIMPF%DMRHRZ11.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
>
>Date: 08 August 1988, 10:23:02 CET
>From: AG Nukleare Festkoerperph 06421-284155         SCHRIMPF at DMRHRZ11
>To:   INFO-ATARI16@SCORE.STANFO
>Problems with program-server.
>
>Hi Atarians,

First of all, I think you use VM/CMS on your IBM mainfraim. If not,
forget most of my following comments.

>   <...>
>   Almost half of the programs,listings,... that I got are extremly
>   erroneous. The crazy thing is, some files come along perfectly and
>   some don't. There seem to be at least two different errors.
>   First of all some of the text-files, like ARBACK.C or SPEAK.C
>   are not complete. That is the most stupid thing in the world, if
>   somebody transmitts program sources to a server, which just end
>   right in the middle of the program. They can be deARCED and UUDECODEd
>   correctly, so the transmission to my userid seems to be okay and it
>   must be the case that come crazy guys are putting incomplete stuff into
>   the servers archive.

A mistake often made in receiving files is to use the commands PEEK and
FILE instead of RECEIVE. But by default, PEEK only shows the first 200
lines of a file. You might enter EXEC DEFAULTS SET PEEK FOR * to avoid
this problem. Files that are truncated this way can be uudecoded without
any error message, but dearcing the result should result in a crc error.
By the way, I hope you use Dumas' UUD and UUE. If not, don't wonder
about difficulties ;-)

>   The next error is that the files can be UUDECODEd but deARCing shows
>   a CRC error. This happens with GULAMDOC.ARC, MORE14.ARC, SPEAK.ARC,
>   HDSCAN13.ARC and with all (!!!) the files form the new server at SSYX.

That is what I've just written.

>   To me that is not a problem of the IBM 4831 ( where I am receiving the
>   files ) but a problem of the files in the program servers archive, too.
>   I got send the files from the new server at SSYX but accident more than
>   20 times ( in words: twenty !!!, though I just ordered them once ) and I
>   checked a couple of the files. They are all identical, that means it is
>   not a problem of transmitting the files. It must be that the original
>   files are just not okay.

Now I think there is a corrumping mailer. I don't think servers behave
like this. I don't know the server at SSYX, but I have no problem at all
in receiving files from the lakesys server (I use the path:
lakesys!netlib@csd1.milw.wisc.edu from earn) and from UH-INFO at UHUPVM1
(atarinet))

>   So my questions is: Why is somebody organizing a program-server with
>   wrong, erroneous and incomplete files ?

Is anyone? See my opinion above. Perhaps tell me what servers you use,
and I'll try it myself.

>   <...>
>   There is another strange thing. The PC-servers that I know use just
>   binary file transfer, that means the transmit 8 bits and not 7. Their
>   files are not (!!!) UUENCODED. <...Description of problems...>
>   Why in the hole world are the Atari-freaks doing things so extrem
>   dangerous ( for the files ) and complicated ( for the users ) ???

Forget these servers. For us Europeans, they are not worth being talked
about. They are always people that don't know about network problems.

>   Andreas Schrimpf, Renthof 5, D-3550 Marburg, FRG
>   SCHRIMPF@DMRHRZ11.BITNET

I hope I could help you, but I'm afraid I couldn't.

Rainer

PS: I read this list since few weeks. Can anyone tell me, what
IDRIS and STADEL are. There is so much written about, but I only
know, that they are Atari ST programs.

Rainer Perske                        EARN/BITNET: PERSKE@DMSWWU5P.bitnet
Institut fuer Kernphysik der         EARN/BITNET: URZ90@DMSWWU1A.bitnet
Westfaelischen Wilhelms-Universitaet
Wilhelm-Klemm-Strasse 9
D-4400 Muenster
Federal Republic of Germany          Telephone: +49 251 83 4974
Disclaimer: If not otherwise stated, all written above is my own opinion