[comp.sys.atari.st] GEM on Unix Box?

ONM07@DMSWWU1A.BITNET ("Julian F. Reschke") (08/04/88)

And now for the latest rumour:

Is it true, that GEM will be ported to the 68030 machine to run as
front end for UNIX. If true, will it be GEM/3? Will there be
multitasking extensions to GEM as a 'Multi-Desk'?

Mr. Good, any comment?

Julian F. Reschke

good@atari.UUCP (Roy Good) (08/06/88)

in article <8808040927.AA18322@ucbvax.berkeley.edu>, ONM07@DMSWWU1A.BITNET ("Julian F. Reschke") says:

> And now for the latest rumour:
> Is it true, that GEM will be ported to the 68030 machine to run as
> front end for UNIX. If true, will it be GEM/3? Will there be
> multitasking extensions to GEM as a 'Multi-Desk'?
> Mr. Good, any comment?
> Julian F. Reschke
No comment.
Roy J. Good
Product Development, Atari Corporation
Views expressed are my own. Atari may agree or disagree; they have the right.

jdonsbac@cvbnet2.UUCP (Jeff Donsbach, Display & Devices, x4365, 5-2 2415) (08/10/88)

From article <8808040927.AA18322@ucbvax.berkeley.edu>, by ONM07@DMSWWU1A.BITNET ("Julian F. Reschke"):
> And now for the latest rumour:
>
> Is it true, that GEM will be ported to the 68030 machine to run as
> front end for UNIX. If true, will it be GEM/3? Will there be
> multitasking extensions to GEM as a 'Multi-Desk'?
>
> Mr. Good, any comment?
>
> Julian F. Reschke

That would be a pretty stupid move. No one else in the UNIX world uses
GEM for there machines. X11 would be the way to go. But, this is Atari
we're talking about isn't it? :-)

Jeff
==========================
Jeff Donsbach, Computervision Division, PRIME Computer, Inc. (CV' :-) )
UUCP: {decvax | linus | sun}!cvbnet!jdonsbac
Internet: jdonsbac@cvbnet.prime.com

maverick@Portia.Stanford.EDU (Steve Whitney) (08/10/88)

In article <168@cvbnet2.UUCP>, jdonsbac@cvbnet2.UUCP (Jeff Donsbach, Display & Devices, x4365, 5-2 2415) writes:
> From article <8808040927.AA18322@ucbvax.berkeley.edu>, by ONM07@DMSWWU1A.BITNET ("Julian F. Reschke"):
> >
> > Is it true, that GEM will be ported to the 68030 machine to run as
> > front end for UNIX. If true, will it be GEM/3? Will there be
> > multitasking extensions to GEM as a 'Multi-Desk'?
>
> That would be a pretty stupid move. No one else in the UNIX world uses
> GEM for there machines. X11 would be the way to go. But, this is Atari
> we're talking about isn't it? :-)

I don't think it's stupid at all.  It means you could run a large number
of ST programs.  That would be a big plus in my opinion!  Assuming you could
make it coexist with UNIX and still run without recompilation.

Also, regarding my request for blitter information posted earlier (from
a different site), I made a reference to the number an article had in
comp.arch on our system.  Obviously (now that I think about it) the number
may (and probably will) be different at your site.

	Thanks!

				--Steve

cfw@aplvax.jhuapl.edu (Chuck Waltrip) (08/16/88)

In article <168@cvbnet2.UUCP> jdonsbac@cvbnet2.UUCP (Jeff Donsbach, Display & Devices, x4365, 5-2 2415) writes:
>From article <8808040927.AA18322@ucbvax.berkeley.edu>, by ONM07@DMSWWU1A.BITNET ("Julian F. Reschke"):
>> And now for the latest rumour:
>>
>> Is it true, that GEM will be ported to the 68030 machine to run as
>> front end for UNIX. If true, will it be GEM/3? Will there be
>> multitasking extensions to GEM as a 'Multi-Desk'?
>>
>> Mr. Good, any comment?
>>
>> Julian F. Reschke
>

>That would be a pretty stupid move. No one else in the UNIX world uses
>GEM for there machines. X11 would be the way to go. But, this is Atari
>we're talking about isn't it? :-)
Actually, I thought that Mr. Reschke probably was referring to providing GEM
on top of X11 which, I believe, would be a very nice thing to do for existing
Atari developers who would have a reasonable shot at porting their software
to the new machine.  Mr. Reschke's suggestion about a 'Multi-Desk' is
probably a good one also (would be nice for the ST series now) but is
probably unnecessary since the various X window managers already provide
this functionality.  Even so, a real desk top window manager designed for
use with GEM and other pure X window programs would be a very nice touch.

Actually, it sounds like Atari is on the right track with the software they
are planning for the 68030 box.  I am more concerned with the hardware.  Will
they include memory parity?  a large, high-resolution monitor?

And, finally, of course, I am concerned with whether it will be available in
the U. S. in a decent timeframe.  The rumored personal VAX is supposed to be
announced next month.  Those of us who have purchase decisions to make will
soon have some attractive choices in the $4k-$7k price range.  Will Atari be
there?
>Jeff
>Jeff Donsbach, Computervision Division, PRIME Computer, Inc. (CV' :-) )
>UUCP: {decvax | linus | sun}!cvbnet!jdonsbac
>Internet: jdonsbac@cvbnet.prime.com

Chuck Waltrip (expressing only his own views)