[comp.sys.atari.st] Flight Simulator II Bug

atoenne@laura.UUCP (Andreas Toenne) (08/04/88)

Last night I encountered two strange bugs (features ?) in Flight Simulator II.

First when flying straight and level towards Salt Lake City suddenly my
plane changed it heigth by 2000 feet !

Second I cannot refule the plane. I stopped on one of those F fields but
without success. How can one refule/repair the plane ?

	Andreas Toenne

stone@Apple.COM (Glen Stone) (08/05/88)

Hi,

  Altitude changing by 2000 feet: don't know
  refueling: shut your engine off and it "may" work.

I've recently played the Chuck Yeager flight simulater on a
Mac II. Wow the response is amazing.

Glen Stone (The external ram disk dude, when are memory prices coming
down?)

wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) (08/08/88)

In article <532@laura.UUCP>, atoenne@laura.UUCP (Andreas Toenne) writes:
> Last night I encountered two strange bugs (features ?) in Flight Simulator II.
> First when flying straight and level towards Salt Lake City suddenly my
> plane changed it heigth by 2000 feet !

You've just encountered the dreaded `Mormon Updraft!'  This is caused by
the enormous amounts of hot air emanating from the complex located
between North Temple, South Temple, West Temple, and Main Streets.
Three guesses what is located there :-).

> Second I cannot refule the plane. I stopped on one of those F fields but
> without success. How can one refule/repair the plane ?

Sorry, you're not allowed to buy avgas behind the `Zion Curtain.'  Planes
here must fly `on a wing and a prayer.'
--
                     {hpda, uwmcsd1}!sp7040!obie!wes
           "Happiness lies in being priviledged to work hard for

jlong@afit-ab.arpa (Jeffrey K. Long) (08/11/88)

>> First when flying straight and level towards Salt Lake City suddenly my
>> plane changed it heigth by 2000 feet !
>
>You've just encountered the dreaded `Mormon Updraft!'  This is caused by
>the enormous amounts of hot air emanating from the complex located
>between North Temple, South Temple, West Temple, and Main Streets.
>Three guesses what is located there :-)
                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Hey, I thought the purpose of these nets was to spread information, not
your own personal feelings about someone's religion!  At the very least you
could identify your comments with  FLAME ON! so we know your are about to
do some "Mormon bashing!"  I can see where if the comment were made in person
with the proper tone of voice, I and some 8 million other members of
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (the proper name) wouldn't
be offended.  But, on a net like this where only the printed word appears,
it is sometimes hard to tell if someone is trying to be funny or just isn't
thinking before they write.  I don't know you, but I'm sure you didn't
intend to make light of something that we as members of this church hold
sacred.  You probably just didn't think about the way your joke would sound to
people who do not know much about the tenents of the fastest growing Christian
denomination in the world.  I feel that a public (e.g. Netwide) appoloy is appropriate.

.

preston@felix.UUCP (Preston Bannister) (08/13/88)

From article <503@afit-ab.arpa>, by jlong@afit-ab.arpa (Jeffrey K. Long):
>>> First when flying straight and level towards Salt Lake City suddenly my
>>> plane changed it heigth by 2000 feet !
>>
>>You've just encountered the dreaded `Mormon Updraft!'  This is caused by
>>the enormous amounts of hot air emanating from the complex located
>>between North Temple, South Temple, West Temple, and Main Streets.
>>Three guesses what is located there :-)
>                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

[ ... deleted where Jeffrey takes offense with the above ... ]

> I feel that a public (e.g. Netwide) appoloy is appropriate.

This is a little silly.  The purpose of the ":-)" (sideways smiley face)
is to tell the reader that the statement is not meant seriously.  No
apology is really necessary.

--
Preston L. Bannister
USENET	   :	hplabs!felix!preston

jlong@icc.afit.arpa (Jeffrey K. Long) (08/15/88)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.atari.st
Subject: Re: Flight Simulator II Bug

In article <141@obie.UUCP> wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) writes:
>In article <532@laura.UUCP>, atoenne@laura.UUCP (Andreas Toenne) writes:
>> Last night I encountered two strange bugs (features ?) in Flight Simulator II.
>> First when flying straight and level towards Salt Lake City suddenly my
>> plane changed it heigth by 2000 feet !
>
>You've just encountered the dreaded `Mormon Updraft!'  This is caused by
>the enormous amounts of hot air emanating from the complex located
>between North Temple, South Temple, West Temple, and Main Streets.
>Three guesses what is located there :-).
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Careful now!  I thought the purpose of this net was to exchange information, not slander someone's religious preferences and beliefs.  While I can see that if
this comment were made face-to-face with the right attitude it might  come
accross as being funny, on something as impersonal as a computer screen it seems to only be a slam against what over 8 million people in this world (yes, I'm
one of them) hold to be very sacred.  So please, think before you write!

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Newsgroups: comp.sys.atari.st

Newsgroups: comp.sys.atari.st
In article <53362@felix.UUCP> preston@felix.UUCP (Preston Bannister) writes:
>From article <503@afit-ab.arpa>, by jlong@afit-ab.arpa (Jeffrey K. Long):
>>>
>>>Three guesses what is located there :-)
>>                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>[ ... deleted where Jeffrey takes offense with the above ... ]
>
>> I feel that a public (e.g. Netwide) appoloy is appropriate.
>
>This is a little silly.  The purpose of the ":-)" (sideways smiley face)
>is to tell the reader that the statement is not meant seriously.  No
>apology is really necessary.

I agree!  I must confess ignorance with regards to the ":-)" convention
as I hadn't seen it before.  Now that I can see that I was probably the only
person on the net who didn't see the humourous intent and I'm sorry if I came
on too strong!  Again, I AM SORRY!!

Newsgroups: comp.sys.atari.st
In article <53362@felix.UUCP> preston@felix.UUCP (Preston Bannister) writes:
>From article <503@afit-ab.arpa>, by jlong@afit-ab.arpa (Jeffrey K. Long):
>>>
>>>Three guesses what is located there :-)
>>                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>[ ... deleted where Jeffrey takes offense with the above ... ]
>
>> I feel that a public (e.g. Netwide) appoloy is appropriate.
>
>This is a little silly.  The purpose of the ":-)" (sideways smiley face)
>is to tell the reader that the statement is not meant seriously.  No
>apology is really necessary.

** I agree Mr. Bannister. I didn't know the convention of the sideways smiley
face, so now I see where I am probably the only person on the net who didn't see
the humourous intention.  I owe you an apology for comming on too strong!
  So, Mr. Bannister, I appologize!
			 *** Jeff Long ***

jlong@icc.afit.arpa (Jeffrey K. Long) (08/16/88)

In article <53362@felix.UUCP> preston@felix.UUCP (Preston Bannister) writes:
>From article <503@afit-ab.arpa>, by jlong@afit-ab.arpa (Jeffrey K. Long):
>>>
>>>Three guesses what is located there :-)
>>                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>[ ... deleted where Jeffrey takes offense with the above ... ]
>
>> I feel that a public (e.g. Netwide) appoloy is appropriate.
>
>This is a little silly.  The purpose of the ":-)" (sideways smiley face)
>is to tell the reader that the statement is not meant seriously.  No
>apology is really necessary.

I agree!  I must confess ignorance with regards to the ":-)" convention
as I hadn't seen it before.  Now that I can see that I was probably the only
person on the net who didn't see the humourous intent and I'm sorry if I came
on too strong.   Again, I appologize to Mr. Bannister and all others who may
have been offened by my reply.

  P.S. Please excuse the mangeled posting earlier!

Newsgroups: comp.sys.atari.st

Newsgroups: comp.sys.atari.st