[comp.sys.atari.st] More Information Please!

jlong@icc.afit.arpa (Jeffrey K. Long) (08/09/88)

Could someone please post more info on the article in the German magazine that
told how to hook up a standard XT drive and controller to the ST!  Several
people in my user's group are very interested in this prospect.  I understand that a circuit board and some driver software are all that is needed.  I also
heard that with some patches the system could now autoboot also.  So what's the
catch other than the fact that you don't have access to your DMA port?
Is this thing slower than using a Berkley board and Adaptec controller?
What magazine did it appear in (Name and Issue) and would anyone who reads
German be willing to translate the article to English?  Help!!!!!

german be willing to translate the article for those who don't read German

hase@netmbx.UUCP (Hartmut Semken) (08/18/88)

In article <497@afit-ab.arpa> jlong@icc.UUCP (Jeffrey K. Long) writes:

>Could someone please post more info on the article in the German magazine that
>told how to hook up a standard XT drive and controller to the ST!
>Is this thing slower than using a Berkley board and Adaptec controller?
>What magazine did it appear in (Name and Issue) and would anyone who reads
>German be willing to translate the article to English?  Help!!!!!

I did not get through to you by mail..

I'm willing to help.
I'll check out with the holder of the copyright (Heise Verlag) and than
probably mail you (via snail mail).
Interested people please write to my adress below...

The "interface" is a little board with some TTL chips interfacing DMA to
an OMTI XT controller.
The board emulates an IBM slot, mostly in software.
So this interface is not compatible with any software acessing the DMA
directly (bypassing the AHDI driver or equ.) like operating systems (as
RTOS or OS/9).
It is slower than my SH205 (when that run; broke down recently) but not
a lot.

hase
--
Hartmut Semken, Lupsteiner Weg 67, 1000 Berlin 37 hase@netmbx.UUCP
If there is something more important than my ego, I want it caught and shot,