[comp.sys.atari.st] Info-Atari16 Digest V88 #330

"chaz_heritage.WGC1RX"@XEROX.COM (07/29/88)

In his 26 Jul 88 15:36:55 GMT Tomas G. Rokicki writes:

>Us?  Americans, parochial?  Where does that damned foreigner get off?
Calling us parochial!  Simply because the best ... cars... are made in the good
old US of A...<

Sir:

Rolls-Royce.

Regards,

Chaz

rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) (07/30/88)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.atari.st
Subject: Re: Info-Atari16 Digest V88 #330
.. Us?  Americans, parochial?  Where does that damned foreigner get off?
.. Calling us parochial!  Simply because the best ... cars... are made in
.. the goodold US of A...
.
. Sir:
.
. Rolls-Royce.
.
. Regards,
.
. Chaz

Well, the British aren't known for their sense of humor,
now, are they?

-tom

kurth@sco.COM (Kurt Hutchison) (08/02/88)

If I had to cite which country makes the best cars,
neither the U.S. or G. Britain would near the top of the list.

Germany (mercedes, porsche), Italy (Ferrari, Lamborghini), and Japan (cheap
reliable cars) would be my list.

American cars are getting better but the reliability is
still significantly behind Japan and Germany (Consumer reports).

Rolls Royces are a Joke (my opinion).  Comparable to a Billion Dollar Barge,
they are big, heavy and slow, and are virtually indestructible.
They are years behind in the usage of state-of the art technology
both in manufacturing and design (why pay for hand-built when a
machine can do it better).  In all fairness, RR's are a good investment
in a car, they hold their value well.  Real estate does better though.

Mercedes has the best engineering in the world (from interviews
with engineers who work at American car companies), Porsche is not far behind.
Depends on what kind of car you want.

Sorry about a serious response to facetious messages but
American cars?  Rolls Royces?  Really!

If I had to compare computers with cars, IBM would be the Americans
(has most of the U.S. market with mediocre machines), The Mac would be
Honda (decent and sells a lot), and the Amiga would be Volkswagen (good
cars, higher performance in basic models, and more maintenance (The OS is
better but more complicated)).

The ST is undeniably the Hundai of the computer world. :-)

There aren't any computers that come to mind as Ferrari's or Porsche's.
Maybe a screamin' 25 MHZ 386.  Computer technology just changes too rapidly
for me to associate it with such venerable names as Porsche and Ferrari.
You can't speak the name Intel (or Motorola or National) with the same
reverence as you can when you say "PORSCHE"!

When you say "Porsche", you've said it all...

			- kurth
Kurt Hutchison		The Santa Cruz Operation	Software Engineer
Trumpet player, synth player, pianist, cyclist, philosopher at large
The above opinions (if any) are my own

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (08/03/88)

In article <470@scolex> kurth@sco.COM (Kurt Hutchison) writes:
>If I had to compare computers with cars, IBM would be the Americans
>(has most of the U.S. market with mediocre machines), The Mac would be
>Honda (decent and sells a lot), and the Amiga would be Volkswagen (good
>cars, higher performance in basic models, and more maintenance (The OS is
>better but more complicated)).
>
>The ST is undeniably the Hundai of the computer world. :-)

Bad analogies, I would say.  The Mac is an overpriced machine with a bit
of sexiness and yuppie appeal.  Perhaps like a BMW.  The Amiga is hardly
a VW, since VWs are both very popular and quite reliable.  The Amiga
is more like a Lotus - zippy, for hobbyists and needing lots of maintenence.

The Atari is like a cheap Citroen.  Sells well in Europe, but not marketed
in the USA.  But otherwise it is like that Korean car.

IBMs is impossible to place.  It used to be like the Rolls Royce - solid,
slightly old technology that's expensive but very reliable and well
supported.  But now they're the ones making innovations while the clones
stay put. (Innovations in the PC world, that is.)
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd.  --  Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

rob@kaa.eng.ohio-state.edu (Rob Carriere) (08/04/88)

In article <1896@looking.UUCP> brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:
>The Atari is like a cheap Citroen.  Sells well in Europe, but not marketed
>in the USA.  But otherwise it is like that Korean car.
So we all start calling our ST's Ugly Ducks (I assume that's the
Citroen you had in mind -- officially called the Deux Cheveaux [two
horses, a reflection on the original engine power]--)
:-)
Rob Carriere

wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) (08/05/88)

OK, OK, I know this doesn't really belong in comp.sys.atari.st, but I
just HAD to reply!

In article <470@scolex>, kurth@sco.COM (Kurt Hutchison) writes:
> Germany (mercedes, porsche), Italy (Ferrari, Lamborghini), and Japan (cheap
> reliable cars) would be my list.

Germany?  Overrated cars at vastly inflated prices.  Italy?  Rolling
works of art, but the engineering is only so-so (reliability IS a part
of engineering, you know), and the ergonomics are generally LOUSY.
Japan is doing their usual job of taking anything anyone else can build
and building it much, much better, and cheaper.  Unless the dollar keeps
sliding against the yen.

> Mercedes has the best engineering in the world (from interviews
> with engineers who work at American car companies), Porsche is not far
> behind.  Depends on what kind of car you want.

Hah.  BS.  Honda has the most advanced R&D in the world, bar none.  What
other company can produce an engine with OVAL PISTONS and make the
piston rings seal?  At 18,000 rpm?  This engine, of course, was in the
NS500 gran prix motorcycle.  It was the most amazing thing...  Not to
mention the RC125, a 125cc 5 cylinder 4-stroke that produced 37
horsepower.  Power band was from 18,000 rpm to 24,000 rpm, and it was
tuned so closely that riding it from sunlight to shade would cause it to
backfire.  Then there was the FWS1000, that produced so much horsepower
every time the rider banged the throttle open, the bike would spit
chunks of rubber off the back tire.  This was an 8" wide racing slick,
mind you!

> If I had to compare computers with cars, IBM would be the Americans
> (has most of the U.S. market with mediocre machines),

No argument there.

> The Mac would be Honda (decent and sells a lot),

No, the Mac would be a BMW/Mercedes.  Good car, a few stupidities crept
into the design, generally excellent workmanship, WAY overpriced.

> The Amiga would be Volkswagen (good > cars, higher performance in
> basic models, and more maintenance (The OS is better but more complicated)).

Well, a Volkswagen on steriods (spelled P-O-R-S-C-H-E).  Generally good,
fast, sexy, but irritating in some ways.  Like the enormous AmigaDOS
system calls that make programming it tedious.  Or like the 911's
annoying drop-throttle surge - much worse than the Ferrari 308 even.

> The ST is undeniably the Hundai of the computer world. :-)

Nah, be fair.  The ST is undeniably the Fiero GT of the computer world.
Much promise, looks really good, but the company just wasn't willing to
make it all that it could be.  Maybe the Flying Ts, and the GM upper
management, should join the Army?

> There aren't any computers that come to mind as Ferrari's or Porsche's.
> Maybe a screamin' 25 MHZ 386.  Computer technology just changes too rapidly
> for me to associate it with such venerable names as Porsche and Ferrari.
> You can't speak the name Intel (or Motorola or National) with the same
> reverence as you can when you say "PORSCHE"!

You say "Porshe" with reverence, huh?  Yuk.  A screaming 25 Mhz 386
would tend to remind me of a Lambo - fast, brutal, and ugly.  A Ferrari?
How 'bout the Testarossa vs. and SGI Iris workstation?  An early Sun
workstation and the 206GT Dino?  I could go on, but won't, since I'll
probably get lynched for this posting anyhow.

> When you say "Porsche", you've said it all...
				   .......you've said "Volkswagen" :-) :-)

			Wes Peters
			(One of these days, I'll own that Dino...)
--
                     {hpda, uwmcsd1}!sp7040!obie!wes
           "Happiness lies in being priviledged to work hard for

Jack.Sumner@rubbs1.FIDONET.ORG (Jack Sumner) (08/12/88)

how can that be? i think all the computers are very much alike. atari is hundai? no way. an atari can compete with a ibm. but a hundai could never could compete with a benz.
/s

--

Jack Sumner - via FidoNet node 1:107/330
UUCP: ...!rutgers!rubbs1!Jack.Sumner

donl@glass.SGI.COM (donl mathis) (08/20/88)

In article <134@obie.UUCP>, wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) writes:

> You say "Porshe" with reverence, huh?  Yuk.  A screaming 25 Mhz 386
> would tend to remind me of a Lambo - fast, brutal, and ugly.  A Ferrari?
> How 'bout the Testarossa vs. and SGI Iris workstation?  An early Sun

Interesting analogy.  Wait till you see the NEXT Iris!
--

- donl mathis at Silicon Graphics Computer Systems, Mountain View, CA

{sun,pyramid,adobe,decwrl,ucbvax,allegra,research}!sgi!donl
donl@sgi.com