[comp.sys.atari.st] Compilers

landay@cory.Berkeley.EDU (James A. Landay) (08/18/88)

Does anyone know anything about Aztec C for the ST.  I am considering
buying a compiler and it is between Aztec and MWC.  I haven't seen
any reviews on Aztec.  How good is the Unix portability? (I have a feeling
my program may never have a market on the Atari the way they are handling
it.)  How is the debugger compared to MWC CSD.

Need to know soon (Aztec has a deal ending Aug. 31)

By the way, does anyone know if Iliad Software has gone under?  They haven't
answered their phone the several times I have called in the last 3 weeks.

Thanks,

James A. Landay

ARPA:   landay@cory.berkeley.edu
        ..!ucbvax!cory!landay

gert@nikhefh.hep.nl (Gert Poletiek) (08/23/88)

In article <5099@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> landay@cory.Berkeley.EDU (James A. Landay) writes:
>Does anyone know anything about Aztec C for the ST.  I am considering
>buying a compiler and it is between Aztec and MWC.  I haven't seen
>any reviews on Aztec.  How good is the Unix portability? (I have a feeling
>my program may never have a market on the Atari the way they are handling
>it.)  How is the debugger compared to MWC CSD.
>
>[stuff deleted]
>
>James A. Landay

I own the MWC compiler version 3.0 and worked with the Aztec C compiler on
the ST as well as on a Mac II.

You should definately buy MWC. The CSD debugger is excellent and the compiler
itself good. The Aztec C compiler is bug ridden. Having found some code
genrator bugs while working with Aztec on a MacII I tried to reproduce these
bugs on the ST version. And guess what? Same compiler->> same bugs; even
though I had already reported them to Manx (the company marketing Aztec).

This simple one liner crashes the Aztec C compiler on the ST (address error):

main () {  *(int *)1 = 0; }

Compilers that crash when compiling this I do not trust anymore...

Go for MWC: it well worth the money.

Gert Poletiek

NIKHEF-H, Dutch National Institute for Nuclear and High Energy Physics
          Kruislaan 409, P.O.Box 41882, 1009 DB Amsterdam, The Netherlands
UUCP:     {decvax,cernvax,unido,seismo}!mcvax!nikhefh!gert
bitnet:   nikhefh!gert@mcvax.bitnet, U00025@hasara5.bitnet

From september 1st 1988:

Gert Poletiek  Dept. of Math. and Computing Science, University of Amsterdam,
               Kruislaan 409, NL-1098 SJ  Amsterdam, The Netherlands
UUCP:          {decvax,cernvax,unido,seismo}!mcvax!uva!gert
bitnet:        uva!gert@mcvax.bitnet, U00025@hasara5.bitnet