[comp.sys.atari.st] Allan

gert@nikhefh.hep.nl (Gert Poletiek) (08/25/88)

In article <1127@atari.UUCP> apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) writes:
>In article <525@nikhefh.hep.nl> gert@nikhefh.hep.nl (Gert Poletiek) writes:
>> I believe that the OS should be fixed NOW, without looking back ...
>
>I understand that viewpoint, but I cannot go along with it.  The core of
>the philosophy of fixing the OS must be this:
>
>	When at all possible, don't make happy people/programs unhappy.
>	In light of this, when possible, try to make unhappy people happy.
>
>I think we have done this.  See my previous article (manifesto) on
>Malloc.  It shows that we (I) put a lot of effort into making Malloc
>compatible but also much improved.  I think we (I) succeeded.

OK, having Malloc fixed (though maybe not to everybody's liking) is better
than not having it fixed at all.

But Allan, could you please answer the questions in article
<528@nikhefh.hep.nl> regarding Fsfirst/Fsnext?? I fear that if those 21 bytes
that come first in the DTA buffer are not changed to incorporate some way to
have 'folder buffers' from GemDos point to the DTA buffer the 40 folder limit
may not be fixed. (I remember that Jos Vermaseren (t68@nikhefh.hep.nl) told
you about this problem a long time ago...)

Gert Poletiek

NIKHEF-H, Dutch National Institute for Nuclear and High Energy Physics
          Kruislaan 409, P.O.Box 41882, 1009 DB Amsterdam, The Netherlands
UUCP:     {decvax,cernvax,unido,seismo}!mcvax!nikhefh!gert
bitnet:   nikhefh!gert@mcvax.bitnet, U00025@hasara5.bitnet

From september 1st 1988:

Gert Poletiek  Dept. of Math. and Computing Science, University of Amsterdam,
               Kruislaan 409, NL-1098 SJ  Amsterdam, The Netherlands
UUCP:          {decvax,cernvax,unido,seismo}!mcvax!uva!gert
bitnet:        uva!gert@mcvax.bitnet, U00025@hasara5.bitnet