[comp.sys.atari.st] Anyone interested in GNUCHESS for ST?

dinolt@wdl1.UUCP (George W. Dinolt) (08/19/88)

Someone earlier suggested that those of us working on various programs
report it to the net so that their won't be duplication of effort, or
(maybe?) to encourage cooperation among the developers.  Well, I am working
(actually I have it running) on a version of GNUCHESS for the ATARI ST.
GNUCHESS is a chess program developed by the people at the Free Software
Foundation in Cambridge, MA.  These are the same people who brought you
GNUEMACS, GCC, G++, GDB, ... all for UNIX type systems.

I am fixing up the user interface a little, it will still be in curses
style, NOT GEM yet.  I can only test it in medium resolution on a
1 MEG ST with no new roms.  I am also adding some documentation to
help a user get started.  I have yet to beat the program, but I haven't
played CHESS in years and am very rusty, and I wasn't that good to
begin with.

Should I post this to binaries?  (The sources are several hundreds of
kilobytes which I think is a bit excessive for the net.)

I have also ported FLEX which is a public domain version of the UNIX (TM)
program LEX to the ST.  Is there interest in this as well?

appropriate.
Regards,
George Dinolt   dinolt@ford-wdl1.arpa, ...!sgi!wdl1!dinolt

daanjj@neabbs.UUCP (DAAN JITTA) (08/23/88)

Yes, please post the sources (& binaries) of FLEX to the approppriate
ST newsgroups!

Daan Josephus Jitta   ( daanjj@neabbs )

poole@forty2.UUCP (Simon Poole) (08/30/88)

In article <22014@neabbs.UUCP> daanjj@neabbs.UUCP (DAAN JITTA) writes:
>Yes, please post the sources (& binaries) of FLEX to the approppriate
>ST newsgroups!

Yes, just like somebody posted (in the corresponding newsgroups):

	FLEX for the Mac
        Bison for the Mac (They didn't even take the trouble to ifdef
                           the changes in this one....)

awaiting complete source postings of

        FLEX for the Amiga
        Bison for the Amiga
        FLEX for the IBM-PC
        Bison for the IBM-PC

(In case nobody noticed, this was a FLAME........................)
UUCP:   ...mcvax!cernvax!forty2!poole			Simon Poole
BITNET: K538915@CZHRZU1A