[comp.sys.atari.st] Desktop bug?

dragon@olivej.atc.OLIVETTI.COM (Give me a quarter or I'll touch you) (08/23/88)

I have discovered what I think is a bug in GEM/GEMDOS (so what else is
new, right?).  I haven't heard of it before, but it's not too serious
anyhow.

It happens on my Mega 4 and my 520STfm.  I haven't tried it on any older
systems since all of mine are gone.  Here's what happens:

	Boot system.

	Place a disk with folders on it in a drive and open the disk.

	Now you should be greeted with an open window with a directory
	that has some folders listed.

	Remove the disk from the drive, but leave the window open.

	Drag one of the folders to the trash.

	The drive will spin, but there's no disk in it.

	An alert box will come up, saying that there's no disk in the
	drive, [ CANCEL | RETRY ]

	If you cancel, the system crashes (two bombs sometimes, reboot
	sometimes, sometimes both).

This is *very* repeatable.

Has anyone noticed it before?  Will it be fixed in the new (newer than
Mega) ROMs?  Has it been fixed in the Beta ROMs?

--Dean

----
Dean Brunette               {ucbvax,etc.}!hplabs!oliveb!olivej!dragon
Olivetti Advanced Technology Center     _____   _____   __|__   _____
20300 Stevens Creek Blvd.              |     |  _____|    |    |
Cupertino, CA 95014                    |_____| |_____|    |__  |_____

'Dancing, screaming, itching, squealing, fevered feeling hot Hot HOT!'

kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) (08/24/88)

Cancelling from the "No disk in drive ..." alert box causing a reboot
is probably related to the other cancel and reboot bug (occasionally
would happen when you cancelled from the file selector).
  It doesn't happen in TOS 1.4.
--
 Ken Badertscher                 | Hey, umm, the stuff I said up there
 Atari R&D Software Test/Support | is, like, what _I_ think, okay?

chasm@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Charles Marslett) (08/29/88)

In article <1128@atari.UUCP>, kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) writes:
:: Cancelling from the "No disk in drive ..." alert box causing a reboot
:: is probably related to the other cancel and reboot bug (occasionally
:: would happen when you cancelled from the file selector).
::   It doesn't happen in TOS 1.4.
:: --
::  Ken Badertscher                 | Hey, umm, the stuff I said up there
::  Atari R&D Software Test/Support | is, like, what _I_ think, okay?
::  {portal,ames,imagen}!atari!kbad | So, y'know, don't bug Atari about it.

Say, what is TOS 1.4 (what are the names of 1.0 through 1.3, too?).  Is
this the new beta-->released version?

Charles Marslett
chasm@killer.dallas.tx.us

good@atari.UUCP (Roy Good) (08/30/88)

in article <5342@killer.DALLAS.TX.US>, chasm@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Charles Marslett) says:

> Say, what is TOS 1.4 (what are the names of 1.0 through 1.3, too?).  Is
> this the new beta-->released version?
> Charles Marslett

Yes, 1.4 is the designation for the new TOS. We did in fact include a note in
a recent posting that 1.1 and 1.3 were never released, for reasons which are
too tedious to go into. Suffice it to say that 1.4 is the new version.
Roy J. Good
Product Development, Atari Corporation
Views expressed are my own. Atari may agree or disagree; they have the right.