[comp.sys.atari.st] Laser printer performance

to_stdnet@stag.UUCP (08/28/88)

From: thelake!steve@stag.UUCP (Steve Yelvington)

 rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) writes...

> >>Ten to twelve minutes to lay out a single page?  Using what?
>
> >I think you are talking about text dumps to the printer.  These it does
> >quite quickly.  This discussion is about graphics.
> >Ever used a Macintosh laser printer, I got very used to 45-50 minutes
> >for a moderately simple graphic.
>
> Again, using what?  45 minutes a page?  That is simply unusable.
> Even full-page 300 dpi graphics shouldn't take more than a couple
> of minutes a page, absolute maximum.  I repeat, *what* *software*
> gives you such poor performance?
>
> -tom

This whole conversation reflects the basic public misunderstanding of
laser printers. They are not fast; they just sound that way.

It's not the software. It's the combination of the interpreted page
description language, hardware bottlenecks, and the way complex
graphics are drawn, redrawn and redrawn again as the image is built
in the laser printer.

If you pick up your daily newspaper, you probably will find an
informational graphic produced on a Macintosh with a LaserWriter,
Varityper VT600 or Linotype laser typesetter.

A weather map, for example, may contain HUNDREDS of graphic objects,
many hidden under subsequent layers as the map is modified. Even
though these layers are not shown, they still exist, and they still
are converted into a page-description language, transmitted to the
lasersetter over a maddeningly slow serial connection, and
reconstructed in a new bitmap by the CPU in the laser device.

If the image requires a type font that is not resident in the laser
device, the entire font description -- encoded in the
page-description language -- has to be downloaded from the computer
or file server. (The VT600 has its own hard drive, which speeds
things up somewhat.)

Obviously, all these conversions and reconstructions are going to
take more time than simply dumping a 300dpi bitmap directly to the
laser controller.

That's why the Atari laser printer (this is the Atari conference,
isn't it?) is so much faster. The GDOS printer driver creates the new
image directly in the Mega's RAM from the GEM internal description,
and the image is stuffed out the DMA port and into the laser printer.

OK, so why isn't the world beating down Atari's door?

	* "Everybody knows" Atari only makes toy computers.

	* The typefaces currently available for the ST/Mega range from
	poor to horrible. They are simply not up to publication
	standards.

	* The software available for the Atari is only beginning to move
	into the "marginally acceptable" range. Consider: Timeworks
	Publisher vs. Quark X-Press; Migraph vs. Adobe Illustrator;
	??? vs. Cricket Graph.

	* The Atari cannot import standard clip art graphics (available
	on CD-ROM from several services), which are intended for
	Macintosh and/or PostScript-based programs. I work in the
	newspaper industry, which has settled on the Mac standard.
	Graphics from the AP, Knight-Ridder, Newhouse, etc., can not
	be "massaged" on the Atari.

	* The Atari laser printer works on one machine. Any shop big
	enough to have a laser in the first place is likely to have
	three or four computers. Where is Atari's answer to
	Appletalk? Ethernet? Tops/NFS? Atari only has "sneakernet"
	and modems.

	* You have to hire a native guide to find an Atari dealer.

tainter@ihlpb.ATT.COM (Tainter) (08/30/88)

>This whole conversation reflects the basic public misunderstanding of
>laser printers. They are not fast; they just sound that way.

This is bologna!  Laser printers are fast, if all you want to do is what
other printers can do.  i.e. text and low res graphics.

If you want to 'take advantage' of the capabilities then it slows down.

There is however, an advertising technique which make them sound even
faster than they actually are.  It's "n pages per minute".
A 10 page per minute laser printer can print 10 copies of the same
page in one minute.  That does not include transmission time or page
layout time.

>  | thelake!steve@stag.UUCP / ...rosevax!pwcs!stag!thelake!steve

--j.a.tainter