[comp.sys.atari.st] Beta Test ROMs

Gribnif@UMass.BITNET (Dan Wilga) (09/04/88)

Greetings!

Given the latest discussion of the Beta ROMS (which, I have yet to see
<grrr...>) I came across a few letters I simply *had* to comment on:

att!mtuxo!mtgzz!drutx!druhi!med@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Myron Drapal) writes:
>     I tend to create a number of windows in my desktop.inf
> file in which I change the pattern (via an editor) from the standard
> *.* pattern to a known pattern (i.e. for Micro C shell - gemcsh.prg).
> This then brings up a window at boot time that has only this entry in
> it, so I can quickly start Micro C shell, or Magic Sac, or...
>
>     Well, on the new BETA ROMS, the window comes up at usual, but
> you *cannot open* the ICON (e.g. it won't execute)!  You can select it
> (in fact, many times), but it will not execute.  In fact, after some
> number of clicks, you get 2 bombs and the system reboots.

I certainly hope this is not true, or if it is it gets fixed. But then this
would be no more strange than the desktop crashing horribly when you try to
create too many icons (I know the 11/85 ROMs do).

There was also considerable mention of having the desktop on disk, rather than
in ROM. Having written NeoDesk, an alternative for Atari's desktop, I would
be lying if I said I did not enthusiastically support this idea. I am sure,
however, that the reason this has never been done is because the code for the
AES and the desktop very intermingled and picking them apart is not something
that anyone looks forward to. Someone also suggested moving DESKTOP.RSC to
disk, and there should be no reason why this cannot be done.

Atari seems to be doing a good job of fixing problems and making improvements
with this new release of the ROMs. The rumor is, however, that this release
will be the last release for ST ROMs. And, given the lack of availabily of
the "intermediate" (blitter) ROMs, I tend to believe it.

It is hard to say this without sounding like a blatant advertisement for my
product, but wouldn't you rather be running a desktop you know will work as
you want it to and, if it does not, it can be fixed without having to wait
for entirely new ROMs? The current version of NeoDesk contains one fatal
bug (that is really quite rare) and a few minor ones, all of which we
*INFORM* you of on a readme file on the disk! Not only have all of these
been fixed for Version 2.0 (which will be available soon), but the new
version has numerous other changes that make it a godsend not only for
the normal user, but also for developers.

I am not really trying to flame Atari (they get enough of that from everyone
else) but I would like to remind everyone of their track record. From Day 1
there has been a distinct lack of communication between them and users. By
users I don't mean just people who have access to E-mail systems, I also mean
the average Joe who buys a 520 and wouldn't know a modem if he saw one.
Allan Pratt and others from Atari have been very helpful to us here, but what
about the guy who finally gets his new 11/88 (or whatever) ROMs installed
and then tries something like the above, only to have the desktop crash?
Do you think he should wait until, perhaps, some friend of his who has
access to Info-Atari16 tells him that that is a well-known bug (like
Malloc() is now) and that it's just something to be avoided? I sent-out my
warranty card the day I bought my 1040 and how much info do you think I have
gotten back from Atari about anything? Not even so much as an advertisement.

All I can say is that I sincerely hope that Atari intends to inform EVERYONE
by REAL, honest ta' goodness SNAIL MAIL that the new ROMs are available,
that they provide everyone with a way of reporting bugs, and that they
continue to upgrade the ROMs, not let whatever bugs are bound to exist
(no software is perfect) in them to fester indefinitely.

In the meantime, buy NeoDesk. You'll like it. <grin>

Dan Wilga                          Gribnif@UMASS.Bitnet
Gribnif Software                   Gribnif%UMASS.Bitnet@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU
P.O. Box 350
Hadley, MA  01035                  (413) 584-7887
                       "My other program is also a Porsche"

good@atari.UUCP (Roy Good) (09/07/88)

in article <880903154746F7F.ANTU@Mars.UCC.UMass.EDU>, Gribnif@UMass.BITNET (Dan Wilga) says:

> Atari seems to be doing a good job of fixing problems and making improvements
> with this new release of the ROMs. The rumor is, however, that this release
> will be the last release for ST ROMs. And, given the lack of availabily of
> the "intermediate" (blitter) ROMs, I tend to believe it.

No-one here is, to my knowledge, considering this TOS 1.4 to be the last
release. Rather, it is a stabilising release that can be used as a
baseline for expansion to the ST product line.

Roy J. Good
Product Development, Atari Corporation
Views expressed are my own. Atari may agree or disagree; they have the right.