[comp.sys.atari.st] BETA TOS BUG discussion

julius@yugas.UUCP (Julius OKLAMCAK) (09/07/88)

In <3517@druhi.ATT.COM> med@druhi.ATT.COM (Myron Drapal) writes:

> From uucp Wed Aug 31 20:17 MDT 1988

[stuph deleted]

> From: atari!apratt@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Allan Pratt)
> To: ames!med@druhi.ATT.COM
> Subject: BETA TOS
>
> In article <3451@druhi.ATT.COM> you write:
> > Well, Allan, I really hate to rain on your parade again, but this stuff
> > about the new format being compatible with the PC is just not true...
> > At least not in the BETA ROMS...
>
> PLEASE DO NOT USE NEWS TO REPORT BUGS IN UNRELEASED ATARI PRODUCTS.

[lots more stuph deleted]

Who cares?

The bug *was* in the Beta ROMs.

Beta is now over (has been for sometime).

Bug has been fixed.

Beta was successful as far as this bug went.

We are discussing history.  May we please discuss the present?  Like how
developers can get the Developer Release of TOS 1.4 and other new software
(Allan's superb DB, new ALN, new MADMAC, and SPRgen).  Like how a bug
reporting/feature request system has been put into place?

I'm sick and tired of all this.  Please stop.  This poor Canuck can't
take it any more.  :-)

Though, while I'm here, I want to comment on 'Beta Test Sites'.  Everyone
wants to be a Beta Test Site.  Of the seven sites that I released Beta ROMs
to, only two ever provided useful bug reports.  Needless to say, only those
two will ever be used again.  All Beta Sites signed legally binding agreements
not to copy or publicly talk about bugs.  Yet, somehow, Beta ROMs leaked out
(See a recent issue of the U.S. ST World).  If we where mean and nasty, the
lawyers would have a field day.  But we're not.  All we ask is that you report
the bugs privately through the channels that have been put into place.

Julius Oklamcak                                  BIX   : joklamcak
Technical Manager                                CIS   : 70007,1070
Atari (Canada) Corp.                             GEnie : J.OKLAMCAK
(416) 479-1266

 - I speak for myself.