[comp.sys.atari.st] 520ST : 2 urgent though simple questions

lily@kulesat.uucp (08/22/88)

Hi there,

Can anybody give me an answer to the folowing two
simple (? to a ST-owner maybe) questions.

Intro : A friend of me owns a 520 ST and wants to know :

 1. How can he expand the memory of his ST to 1024k, or higher.
    (which chips, at what price, where to put them
     -I've seen the RAM-chips soldered to the board = no sockets,
     can he use 1Megabit chips etc... )

 2. Can he use a serial printer without a Par-Ser. interface.
    (what about the modem port ? -any software?-, what about
     buying an interface : prices,manufacturers etc...)

Please, if you have some answers or recommendations, answer to :

Dirk van den Oudenhoven.         K.U.Leuven
                                 ESAT-Machine Intelligence & Imaging
                                 De Croylaan 52b
                                 B-3030 Leuven
                                 BELGIUM

UUCP   : kulesat!lily
BITNET : lily%kulesat.uucp@blekul60

tainter@ihlpb.ATT.COM (Tainter) (08/25/88)

In article <165@bach@kulesat.uucp> lily@kulesat.uucp writes:
>Can anybody give me an answer to the folowing two
>simple (? to a ST-owner maybe) questions.
>
>Intro : A friend of me owns a 520 ST and wants to know :
>
> 1. How can he expand the memory of his ST to 1024k, or higher.
>    (which chips, at what price, where to put them
>     -I've seen the RAM-chips soldered to the board = no sockets,
>     can he use 1Megabit chips etc... )

To do the piggy back soldering you have to use 256K chips.  Do to the
fact that 1M chips are cheaper that 256K chips go with a board that
takes the 1M.

[Note:  I posted this (rather than mailed) as I wanted to draw this
    to more peoples attention. ]

> 2. Can he use a serial printer without a Par-Ser. interface.
>    (what about the modem port ? -any software?-, what about
>     buying an interface : prices,manufacturers etc...)

Certainly, select the serial port as your printer port and you have a
serial printer.

>Dirk van den Oudenhoven.         K.U.Leuven

--j.a.tainter

jfadams@tc.fluke.COM (Jim Adams) (09/10/88)

In article <8605@ihlpb.ATT.COM> tainter@ihlpb.UUCP (55521-Tainter,J.A.) writes:
>In article <165@bach@kulesat.uucp> lily@kulesat.uucp writes:
>
>> 2. Can he use a serial printer without a Par-Ser. interface.
>>    (what about the modem port ? -any software?-, what about
>>     buying an interface : prices,manufacturers etc...)
>
>Certainly, select the serial port as your printer port and you have a
>serial printer.
>
>>Dirk van den Oudenhoven.         K.U.Leuven
>
>--j.a.tainter

Yes, this works fine most of the time. I'm using an HP LaserJet II on my ST
via the "modem" port despite the fact that the LJII has a parallel port in
addition to a serial port. My early-1985-vintage 520ST can't seem to drive
a LaserJet through the parallel port due to the LJ's load. Anyway, I have found
certain programs (as well as the new beta-release ROMs) evidently ASSUME the
printer to be attached to the parallel port even though the "printer" port has
been redirected through the "modem" port through the Control Panel DA. So I
cannot print a file from certain programs or the desktop with my serial
printer.

--
James F. Adams       John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.        Everett, Washington USA
WORLD:jfadams@tc.fluke.COM