[comp.sys.atari.st] ST GNU utilities

koreth@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Steven Grimm) (08/30/88)

In article <449@forty2.UUCP> poole@forty2.UUCP (Simon Poole) writes:
>In article <22014@neabbs.UUCP> daanjj@neabbs.UUCP (DAAN JITTA) writes:
>>Yes, please post the sources (& binaries) of FLEX to the approppriate
>>ST newsgroups!
>
>Yes, just like somebody posted (in the corresponding newsgroups):
>
>	FLEX for the Mac
>        Bison for the Mac (They didn't even take the trouble to ifdef
>                           the changes in this one....)

FLEX is available for anonymous ftp from ssyx, and on the archive
server as of about five minutes ago.  If I were to post it, it would
probably be a binary- only posting, because the sources are very large
(~300K).  I also have several other GNU utilities here:

-rw-r--r--  1 koreth     143413 Aug 29 08:58 pub/atari-misc/bison.arc
-rw-r--r--  1 koreth      46210 Aug 29 09:01 pub/atari-misc/diff.arc
-rw-r--r--  1 koreth     162536 Aug 29 09:04 pub/atari-misc/flex.arc
-rw-r--r--  1 koreth     305215 Aug 29 08:23 pub/atari-misc/gas-1-20.arc
-rw-r--r--  1 koreth    1414301 Aug 29 08:55 pub/atari-misc/gcc-1-23.arc
-rw-r--r--  1 koreth     402305 Aug 24 08:16 pub/atari-misc/gcx-1-23.arc
-rw-r--r--  1 koreth     140739 Aug 24 08:20 pub/atari-misc/gnulib.arc
-rw-r--r--  1 koreth     346452 Aug 29 09:11 pub/atari-misc/gnuutils.arc
-rw-r--r--  1 koreth      91023 Aug 29 09:13 pub/atari-misc/patch.arc

The arc files will go away soon, since I don't really have the disk space
to keep both uuencoded and binary copies of this stuff online.  Say

index atari-misc

in a message to archive-server@ssyx.ucsc.edu (ssyx is uunet!ucbvax!ucscc!ssyx)
to see how to get this stuff from the archive server.

A caveat to BITNET users: you should say

path user@node.bitnet

in your message so that it will get routed properly.  Otherwise it will go
through some unnecessary intermediate sites and possibly get lost along the
way.  Also, people on sites in the UUCP maps can say

path site!user

for autorouting.

---
These are my opinions, and in no way reflect those of UCSC, which are wrong.
Steven Grimm		Moderator, comp.{sources,binaries}.atari.st
koreth@ssyx.ucsc.edu	uunet!ucbvax!ucscc!ssyx!koreth

poole@forty2.UUCP (Simon Poole) (09/10/88)

In article <4650@saturn.ucsc.edu> koreth@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Steven Grimm) writes:
>In article <449@forty2.UUCP> poole@forty2.UUCP (Simon Poole) writes:
>>In article <22014@neabbs.UUCP> daanjj@neabbs.UUCP (DAAN JITTA) writes:
>>>Yes, please post the sources (& binaries) of FLEX to the approppriate
>>>ST newsgroups!
[I get mad about this.....]
>FLEX is available for anonymous ftp from ssyx, and on the archive
>server as of about five minutes ago.  If I were to post it, it would
>probably be a binary- only posting, because the sources are very large
>(~300K).  I also have several other GNU utilities here:

I think I should make myself a bit more clear on the subject of source
postings. In general I think posting  source is a  GOOD_THING, but the
indiscriminate posting of  none machine specfic  sources is  NOT. Take
for an example  FLEX: to  get  the  source to compile  and run on a ST
takes  minimal   changes (change the   filenames  to MS-DOS compatible
format,  change entry to Entry for  MWC 2.0 in  one file, and allocate
enough  stack),  the  original  sources  are available   from  various
archives (CIC for Bitnet). A   resonable compromise is  to  distribute
diffs for  people  that don't want to  figure  stuff like this  out by
themselves.

UUCP:   ...mcvax!cernvax!forty2!poole			Simon Poole
BITNET: K538915@CZHRZU1A