[comp.sys.atari.st] 9600 baud transfer problems

dorian@pawl20.pawl.rpi.edu (Dorian S. Garson) (09/09/88)

I've been trying to transfer files between my ST and the UNIX box it's been
hardwired to.

It seems that no matter what I  try (any combination of xmodem, kermit,
straight capture), I run into problems.  Tried FLASH and AnsiTerm.

The problem is that everything blazes by too fast for my setup at 9600 baud -
lines are chopped in captures, xmodem & kermit can't seem to get themselves
syncronized with what's happening on the other end.

Is there any way to solve this without having the line speed cut to 4800
baud?

        Much thanx.

        -Dorian->
      |\  /\  ARPAnet: DORIAN@EDDIE.MIT.EDU

greg@bilbo (Greg Wageman) (09/09/88)

In article <1149@imagine.PAWL.RPI.EDU> dorian () writes:
>I've been trying to transfer files between my ST and the UNIX box it's been
>hardwired to.
>
>It seems that no matter what I  try (any combination of xmodem, kermit,
>straight capture), I run into problems.  Tried FLASH and AnsiTerm.
>
>The problem is that everything blazes by too fast for my setup at 9600 baud -
>lines are chopped in captures, xmodem & kermit can't seem to get themselves
>syncronized with what's happening on the other end.

Does your *NIX box respond to XON/XOFF (DC1/DC3)?  Flash, for one,
can't keep up with character input at 9600 baud, and will send an XOFF
when the buffer gets nearly full.  If the *NIX box ignores it, the
buffer will overflow and characters will be lost.

Alternatively, you could enable hardware handshaking (Ready-to-send
[RTS]/Clear-to-send [CTS]), but in my own experience these don't work
properly on the Atari side.  You *will* need some sort of handshaking
at 9600 baud, in any event.

Greg Wageman			ARPA:  greg%sentry@spar.slb.com
Schlumberger Technologies	BIX:   gwage
1601 Technology Drive		CIS:   74016,352
San Jose, CA 95110		GEnie: GWAGEMAN
(408) 437-5198			UUCP: ...!decwrl!spar!sentry!greg
------------------
Opinions expressed herein are solely the responsibility of the author.

c60a-1bq@web-1e.berkeley.edu (nunnayourbiznezz) (09/10/88)

In article <1149@imagine.PAWL.RPI.EDU> dorian () writes:

[about using different term progs]
>The problem is that everything blazes by too fast for my setup at 9600 baud -
>lines are chopped in captures, xmodem & kermit can't seem to get themselves
>syncronized with what's happening on the other end.
>

>        Much thanx.
>
>        -Dorian->

Try turning off the handshake lines (xon&xoff I believe).  I've heard that
this works for high baud rates.

Does the st go at 19K baud?

John Kawakami

rex@otto.lvsun.com (Rex Jolliff) (09/11/88)

In article <1149@imagine.PAWL.RPI.EDU> dorian () writes:
>It seems that no matter what I  try (any combination of xmodem, kermit,
>straight capture), I run into problems.  Tried FLASH and AnsiTerm.
>
>Is there any way to solve this without having the line speed cut to 4800
>baud?

well...  I've been using both gulam and Uniterm at 9600 and 19200 baud when
transferring files between UNIX and ST, and I rarely get errors. If you have
either of these, then give them a try.

Maybe if you tried expanding your serial I/O buffers, that might help.

								Rex.

--

Rex Jolliff  (rex@otto.UUCP, {utah-gr, psivax, ihnp4, rutgers}!otto!rex)
The Sun Newspaper -            |Disclaimer:  The opinions and comments in