[comp.sys.atari.st] 128k Magic Sac

nfrech@ALMSA-1.ARPA ("Norman R. Frech") (07/21/88)

********

When this product comes out, will it be able to run all Mac software,
(other than Mac II)?  I have been putting off buying Magic Sac, mainly
because I don't have a mono monitor and we use PCs at work.  If 128k
version arrives I don't think I would wait any longer to upgrade to
a Mac plus, SE or whatever it emulates.

Norm Frech

"Verbatim regurgitation is against my principles" - Neal, The Young Ones.
*

bw0i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Bryan Wu) (09/06/88)

If the 128k Magic Sac come out, will it also be able to take advantage of the
Apple Talk networks? I know that there is an Apple Talk card for the IBM and
being able to use the Apple Talk net would be nice for both businesses and
colleges.

Any word on this?

dhawk@well.UUCP (David Hawkins) (09/07/88)

> If the 128K Magic Sac comes out . . .

There won't be a 128K Magic Sac.  Dave Small posted here a couple of
weeks ago about why not.  Basically he left the company in March/April
and they don't have a programmer with the ability to create a 128K
Magic Sac.

Dave is coming out with a product called Spectre 128 --- but I don't
have the details on it yet.

later, david
--
David Hawkins       {pacbell,hplabs,ucbvax}!well!dhawk
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.  -- Alfred, Lord Tennyson

dlm@druhi.ATT.COM (Dan Moore) (09/07/88)

in article <YX8mG9y00Ws100Ykdc@andrew.cmu.edu>, bw0i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Bryan Wu) says:
> If the 128k Magic Sac come out, will it also be able to take advantage of the
> Apple Talk networks? I know that there is an Apple Talk card for the IBM and
> being able to use the Apple Talk net would be nice for both businesses and
> colleges.
>
> Any word on this?

	There will not be a 128K ROM "Magic Sac", no matter what Data
Pacific's newsletter says.  Dave Small no longer works for Data Pacific
he has his own company, Gadgets by Small.

	Gadgets by Small is going to release the "Spectre 128" at the
Glendale Atari show.  If you want more information you should contact
Dave at:

		Gadgets by Small
		40 W. Littleton Blvd.  #210-211
		Littleton, CO	80120
		(303)  791-6098

	As of now the "Spectre 128" does not support AppleTalk since
there are no AppleTalk compatible interfaces available for the ST.  I'm
sure Dave will look at AppleTalk if/when someone starts selling an
interface that can handle it.

				Dan Moore
				AT&T Bell Labs
				Denver
				dlm@druhi.ATT.COM

tim@brspyr1.BRS.Com (Tim Northrup) (09/07/88)

From article <7036@well.UUCP>, by dhawk@well.UUCP (David Hawkins):
|> If the 128K Magic Sac comes out . . .
|
| There won't be a 128K Magic Sac.  Dave Small posted here a couple of
| weeks ago about why not.  Basically he left the company in March/April
| and they don't have a programmer with the ability to create a 128K
| Magic Sac.
|
| Dave is coming out with a product called Spectre 128 --- but I don't
| have the details on it yet.
|
| later, david
| --
| David Hawkins

Err, Dave -- the Spectre 128 *IS* the 128K ROM project -- it just has
a different name, and a different company ("Gadgets by Small", I think).

For further info, check out the "dp" roundtable on GEnie.  Dave Small
is on quite often, and provides loads of information there.
--
Tim Northrup      		  +------------------------------------------+
+---------------------------------+         GEnie:  T.Northrup               |

mikew@wheeler.wrcr.unr.edu (Mike Whitbeck) (09/08/88)

In article <YX8mG9y00Ws100Ykdc@andrew.cmu.edu> bw0i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Bryan Wu) writes:
>If the 128k Magic Sac come out, will it also be able to take advantage of the
>Apple Talk networks? I know that there is an Apple Talk card for the IBM and
>being able to use the Apple Talk net would be nice for both businesses and
>colleges.
>
>Any word on this?

 IS THERE ANY NETWORKING FOR THE ST TO Appletalk, TOPS, or
 ETHERNET??
 ----- This would be a big + in my book! ----
 (I have heard of a German product (FRG) but I have been unable
 to get specifics)

|Mike Whitbeck             |                              |
|Desert Research Inst.     | mikew@wheeler.wrc.unr.edu    |

stowe@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (holly) (09/09/88)

Someone suggested looking for Dave Small in the DP RoundTable on GEnie...

Dave is no longer associated with or responsible for Data Pacific in any
way shape or form.  He is forming a new RoundTable on GEnie.  Please check
the ST RoundTable "door" for further details as they become available.

Thanks!

Holly (HS)
ST RoundTable Sysop

kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) (09/09/88)

in article <4446@brspyr1.BRS.Com>, tim@brspyr1.BRS.Com (Tim Northrup) says:
> Err, Dave -- the Spectre 128 *IS* the 128K ROM project -- it just has
> a different name, and a different company ("Gadgets by Small", I think).
>
> For further info, check out the "dp" roundtable on GEnie.  Dave Small
> is on quite often, and provides loads of information there.

  Nope.  Don't try to contact Dave on the data pacific roundtable on
GEnie, he has disentangled himself even further from dp by not attending
their GEnie RT any more.  (and after what he has posted here about Data
Pacific, the Translator and the FCC, I'm not the least bit surprised).
  Dave does moderate a conference on BIX, though, the
"magic" conference.  This conference is still, I believe, his alone.
Dave's user ID on BIX is 'dsmall'.

--
 Ken Badertscher                 | Hey, umm, the stuff I said up there
 Atari R&D Software Test/Support | is, like, what _I_ think, okay?

stowe@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (holly) (09/12/88)

Until Dave Small gets his own RT going on GEnie, he can be found in
Cat 12 Top 9 on the ST RoundTable.

Do these commands:

M 475:1     <- gets you to the ST RoundTable
SET 12      <- gets you to Category 12
READ 9 NEW  <- reads all the new messages in Dave's topic