[comp.sys.atari.st] "Dying computers"

rjung@sal21.usc.edu (Robert allen Jung) (09/14/88)

In article <5633@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> seitz@cory.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Matthew Eric Seitz) writes:
>  [Lots of stuff about "Dying computer" attitude and Atari]
>
>	Originally, I flamed David for his negative articles.  Now I believe
>he has a point.  The computer store I work at during breaks has dropped ST
>hardware.  I'm hearing a lot of the same negative feelings that Dave is.
>However, in the last month I've started hearing more good news.  I'm seeing
>more new products and hearing more optimistic reports on Atari products and
>Atari's future.  Some dealers are doing poorly, others are doing very well.

  Just a theory, but maybe the "dying computer" paranoia(?) was brought about
by Atari's transition from "announce it as soon as we make it" to "no
announcements before its time"? There would be a dead period, where no new
products are being announced and all of the old promises are still fresh in our
memories -- Maybe this caused the "dying" fears...

>Overall, I think Atari was dying.  Now they've stablised, but they still
>have a long road to recovery.

  Funny, I never thought Atari was "dying" (at least post-Tramiel  B-). A
period of inactivity, yes, but not dying. But then, I'm looking at things from
an end-user point of view. In fact, it seems like things are starting to get
more exciting -- The laptop ST, the Epson/Postscript emulators for the Laser,
the CD-ROM... But where's the ABAQ and Atari-UNIX?  B-)

>  I don't think the ST will ever replace MS-DOS
>or the Mac, but it still may have a viable future.

  Who knows? A little luck, a lot of PR, and a miracle may happen  B-). Heck,
if a bunch of PC-clone-makers can challenge IBM's PC standard, why not Atari?

						--R.J.
						B-)

  Disclaimer: These are my views, and mine alone.
                                                             # ## #
  Mailing address: Beats me, just reply to this message      # ## #
                    (rjung@sa132.usc.edu?)                  ## ## ##
                                                         ####  ##  ####

seitz@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Matthew Eric Seitz) (09/15/88)

In article <1372@nunki.usc.edu> rjung@sal21.usc.edu (Robert  allen Jung) writes:
"
"In fact, it seems like things are starting to get
"more exciting -- The laptop ST, the Epson/Postscript emulators for the Laser,
"the CD-ROM... But where's the ABAQ and Atari-UNIX?  B-)
"

	Where indeed?  Announcements are still interesting, but no longer
exciting.  Delivered products, such as TOS 1.4 seems to be, are exciting.

" Heck, if a bunch of PC-clone-makers can challenge IBM's PC standard, why not
"Atari?
"
	How did the clone makers challenge IBM's standard?
"
"						--R.J.
"
"  Disclaimer: These are my views, and mine alone.
"  Mailing address: Beats me, just reply to this message      # ## #
"                    (rjung@sa132.usc.edu?)                  ## ## ##

						Matt Seitz
						seitz@cory.berkeley.edu