[comp.sys.atari.st] Atari CD players

UUCJEFF@ECNCDC.BITNET (09/13/88)

I understand the Atari CD players are going to be both audio and data.
As a musician, that leads me to an interesting question.  Will it be possbile
to read the information off Audio CDs as data?  If I want a sample of Ella
Fitzgeral's voice or Mile Davis' horn, will I be able to go to a sction and
read the data so i can make a file for my sampler?

Jeff Beer, UUCJEFF@ECNCDC.BITNET

wheels@mks.UUCP (Gerry Wheeler) (09/14/88)

In article <8809130729.AA23890@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, UUCJEFF@ECNCDC.BITNET writes:
> I understand the Atari CD players are going to be both audio and data.
> Will it be possible to read the information off Audio CDs as data?

What about the other way 'round? Given a WORM drive (I guess one could
be connected to the SCSI interface) can one write a CD which will play
on an audio machine? I wouldn't mind archiving some of my old 45's. I
know they would still sound like an old 45, but at least they wouldn't
get damaged any further.
--
     Gerry Wheeler                           Phone: (519)884-2251
Mortice Kern Systems Inc.               UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!wheels

koreth@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Steven Grimm) (09/16/88)

In article <505@mks.UUCP> wheels@mks.UUCP (Gerry Wheeler) writes:
>Given a WORM drive (I guess one could
>be connected to the SCSI interface) can one write a CD which will play
>on an audio machine?

WORM disks are physically different than CDs, as far as I know.  So unless
the WORM drives change, which probably won't happen in the very near future,
you won't be able to record a standard-format CD.  This isn't to say that
someone won't come up with a device to play WORM disks as you describe.

>I wouldn't mind archiving some of my old 45's. I
>know they would still sound like an old 45, but at least they wouldn't
>get damaged any further.

With a fairly high sampling rate, you can digitize your 45's on a computer
and then store huge datafiles on a WORM for later playback.  A Mega 4 has
enough memory to provide a couple minutes of playback, I would imagine,
more than enough time to load your buffer with the next few minutes.  At
200 megabytes per WORM (at least that's what the WORM at work can store),
that's a few 45's per disk.

Of course, the ST's filesystem isn't what you want to use (even if you could
use it unmodified on a write-once device), since it can't handle more than
sixteen megabytes per device.  I've got a few ideas about what sort of system
you might want to use, but I'll spare you the details unless you want them.

---
These are my opinions, and in no way reflect those of UCSC, which are wrong.
Steven Grimm		Moderator, comp.{sources,binaries}.atari.st
koreth@ssyx.ucsc.edu	uunet!ucbvax!ucscc!ssyx!koreth

P.S.  Wish me a happy birthday.  September 15.  My horoscope says that December
      will be a productive month.