[comp.sys.atari.st] Media Change Bug

gibson@trwrb.UUCP (Gregory S. Gibson) (09/14/88)

I have the media change bug on my Mega 2. (The escape key does not always
update the drive A directory when write protection is enabled).

My Mega 2 is still under warranty.  I am having trouble getting it repaired.
Although my dealer was not aware of the problem, he replaced by drive.
However, I still have the problem.
Who can my dealer talk to at Atari to get information on the media change
bug?  My dealer claims he talked to Atari without success. .  Although my
dealer is an authorized Atari dealer, he is not a knowledgeable dealer.

What is the fix for the media change bug?  I thought replacing the drive
would fix  the media change bug.

Gregory Gibson
gibson@trwrb.UUCP
--
Gregory Gibson
{...ihnp4,ucbvax}!trwrb!gibson

greg@bilbo (Greg Wageman) (09/16/88)

In article <7896@trwrb.UUCP> gibson@trwrb.UUCP (Gregory S. Gibson) writes:
>I have the media change bug on my Mega 2. (The escape key does not always
>update the drive A directory when write protection is enabled).
>
>My Mega 2 is still under warranty.  I am having trouble getting it repaired.
>Although my dealer was not aware of the problem, he replaced by drive.
>However, I still have the problem.
>Who can my dealer talk to at Atari to get information on the media change
>bug?  My dealer claims he talked to Atari without success. .  Although my
>dealer is an authorized Atari dealer, he is not a knowledgeable dealer.
>
>What is the fix for the media change bug?  I thought replacing the drive
>would fix  the media change bug.

Replacing the drive would fix the problem if you had one.  The
behavior you describe is the *normal* behavior for a stock ST.  The
media change bug exists when a write-ENABLED floppy disc is removed,
and another disc inserted, and the machine does not detect the change.

The glitch on the write protect line, which TOS polls during VBI,
(Vertical Blanking Interrupt) isn't long enough to be detected with
write-protected discs.  However, it isn't a serious problem since you
can't write to the disks and therefore won't clobber them.

Greg Wageman			ARPA:  greg%sentry@spar.slb.com
Schlumberger Technologies	BIX:   gwage
1601 Technology Drive		CIS:   74016,352
San Jose, CA 95110		GEnie: GWAGEMAN
(408) 437-5198			UUCP: ...!decwrl!spar!sentry!greg
------------------
Opinions expressed herein are solely the responsibility of the author.

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (09/16/88)

In article <7896@trwrb.UUCP> gibson@trwrb.UUCP (Gregory S. Gibson) writes:
> I have the media change bug on my Mega 2. (The escape key does not always
> update the drive A directory when write protection is enabled).

From what you describe, you don't have the bug.

To diagnose this bug, you put a write-enabled disk in the drive and open
a window on it.  Then you wait for the access light to go out.  Now take
the disk out and put it back in, then hit escape.  If the drive doesn't
spin, you have the bug.

For TOS 1.4, diagnosis won't be so easy, because hitting ESC on the
desktop ALWAYS causes the disk to spin -- it causes media change on the
drive, to take care of the possibility that you changed the disk while
it was out of the drive.

In the case of write-protected floppies, it is normal for the ESC key to
cause a quick response if the drive was accessed within the last second
and a half: this is a "grace" period so we aren't checking the serial
number on every single access.

42_145@uwovax.uwo.ca (RIC WHEELER) (09/17/88)

RE:MEDIA CHANGE BUG

42_145@uwovax.uwo.ca (RIC WHEELER) (09/17/88)

The media change bug has to do with the type of disk drive used.I ran
into this problem when upgrading my 520stfm to double-sided drives.I
had problems (media change)with a Panasonic JU-364 ,but not with a
Mitsibishi model MF 353B-88UF.
I'm not certain ,but I think it has something to do with the way the
write protect tab is detected.(optical or mechanical)
Maybe someone else can clairify this a little better for us.

andyc@hplsla.HP.COM ( Andy Cassino) (09/17/88)

| I have the media change bug on my Mega 2. (The escape key does not always
| update the drive A directory when write protection is enabled).
|
| My Mega 2 is still under warranty.  I am having trouble getting it repaired.
| Although my dealer was not aware of the problem, he replaced by drive.
| However, I still have the problem.
| Who can my dealer talk to at Atari to get information on the media change
| bug?  My dealer claims he talked to Atari without success. .  Although my
| dealer is an authorized Atari dealer, he is not a knowledgeable dealer.
|
| What is the fix for the media change bug?  I thought replacing the drive
| would fix  the media change bug.
|
| Gregory Gibson
| gibson@trwrb.UUCP

I've seen this on my ST2 as well. It always goes away when I close the disk
and re-open it.  I've only seen it twice but both times I had a RAM disk
open. Both times my floppy was NOT write protected.

    % Andy Cassino                                                  %
    % uucp: hplabs!hplsla!andyc  domain: andyc%hplsla@hplabs.hp.com %
    % Hewlett-Packard              Lake Stevens Instrument Division %
    % 8600 Soper Hill Road                   Everett, WA 98205-1298 %
    % (206) 335-2211                                                %