[comp.sys.atari.st] SG-10 Printer:Different character sets

sale5312@fredonia.UUCP (Marty Saletta) (09/20/88)

  Yes,I'd like to know if some fellow ST user who has a Star Micronics
 SG-10 printer has been able to change the character set for the Near
 Letter Quality (NLQ) mode.  I'm not even sure if it's possible.  I have
 some config programs and drivers for the printer,but none to change the
 char set.  Any help?  Thanks in advance.

--
 /    /  |\ |  /    / |  /   :   Marty Saletta @ Fredonia,NY----------
/ __ /__ | \| /__  /  | /    :   Atari ST,New York Yankees,bloody Who,

leo@philmds.UUCP (Leo de Wit) (09/20/88)

In article <1103@fredonia.UUCP> sale5312@fredonia.UUCP (Marty Saletta) writes:
>  Yes,I'd like to know if some fellow ST user who has a Star Micronics
> SG-10 printer has been able to change the character set for the Near
> Letter Quality (NLQ) mode.  I'm not even sure if it's possible.  I have
> some config programs and drivers for the printer,but none to change the
> char set.  Any help?  Thanks in advance.

A while ago I posted a NLQPS (Near Letter Quality & Proportional
Spacing) program to one of the comp.{binaries,sources}.atari.st
newsgroups. It works very well (if I may say so myself 8-) with my old
Star Gemini 10X printer, which doesn't have an NLQ mode. It does a
double scan of each text line in graphics mode with a very tiny
linefeed inbetween (1/144 inch). The PS option can be turned off (e.g.
for listings, tables).

An older version had the capability to load the characterset used
dynamically from a file. I removed that option, thinking that there
would be no interest.  If you (and perhaps some other people too) would
like that, I can add back that option. In that case there has to be
added a font editor too so you can easily define a new NLQ font. Ah,
perhaps a two phase project...

         Leo.

P.S. To be able to use the NLQPS program, you must have a printer that
can do double density graphics, and linefeeds of half a dot distance
(1/144 inch), but I think today most printers can do that.