[comp.sys.atari.st] Problems with gcc.arc's: Newer version of arc?

VCD51661@DS0RUS54.BITNET (09/22/88)

Recently I tried to dearchive the file gcx123.arc, belonging to
the GNU-C compiler postings. I got the following message from my
arc.ttp:
"I don't know how to handle file COPYING in archive GCX123.ARC
 I think you need a newer version of ARC."
The same thing happened with all the other archieves belonging to
the GNU-C postings I got. The first thing I tried was downloading
a newer version of arc from LISTSERV at CANADA01 (BITNET, as I am
a BITNET user). The file I ordered and received was
PROG-A16 88-00152, described as "ARC.TTP ... (Repost)". It identi-
fies itself as (stuff deleted):

"       System Enhancement Associates
       21 New Street, Wayne NJ 07470

 ARC - Archive utility, 5.12 - Atari ST

 Atari ST version developed by Harvey Johnson "

which is the same as with my old arc. It also did not work, of course.
So what can I do? Is there a newer version of arc available (could
someone mail it to me if so)? Or is something wrong with the file?
Has anybody had the same problems and/or can help?
I would be glad to hear from you, netlanders!

                        /*
                        *       Benno Salzgeber
                        *       Institute for Computer Applications
                        *       University of Stuttgart
                        *       Pfaffenwaldring 57
                        *       D-7000 Stuttgart 80 (FRG)
                        *       VCD51661@DS0RUS54.BITNET
                        */

In article <8809211050.AA00106@jade.berkeley.edu> VCD51661@DS0RUS54.BITNET writes:
>Recently I tried to dearchive the file gcx123.arc, belonging to
>the GNU-C compiler postings. I got the following message from my
>arc.ttp:
>"I don't know how to handle file COPYING in archive GCX123.ARC
> I think you need a newer version of ARC."
>The same thing happened with all the other archieves belonging to
>the GNU-C postings I got. The first thing I tried was downloading

Correct, it appears that all the GCC related ARC files were compressed
using Squashing instead of Crunching.

>a newer version of arc from LISTSERV at CANADA01 (BITNET, as I am
>a BITNET user). The file I ordered and received was
>PROG-A16 88-00152, described as "ARC.TTP ... (Repost)". It identi-
>fies itself as (stuff deleted):
>
>"       System Enhancement Associates
>       21 New Street, Wayne NJ 07470
>
> ARC - Archive utility, 5.12 - Atari ST
>
> Atari ST version developed by Harvey Johnson "

There has been one major new version for the ST since 5.12 - 5.21,
with modifications to support Squashing. (developed by lil' ol' me....  }-)

If the person in charge of the CANAD01 LISTSERV would send me a message,
I'll ship 'em off a copy of the latest ARC. I can also be reached directly
on bitnet as
	HYC@UMICHUM

--
  /
 /_ , ,_.                      Howard Chu