[comp.sys.atari.st] Damaged moriabin.arc header

c60a-1bq@web-1a.berkeley.edu (09/19/88)

When I uudecoded moriabin, i found that the header file for MORIABIN.ARC
was damaged.  Did this happen everyehere, or am I doing something wrong?
BTW, our uudecode is pretty primitive, so I had to knit the files together
to decode it.  I doubt this had any effect on this particular error as it
occured on the 2nd file in MORIABIN.ARC

John Kawakami

koreth@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Steven Grimm) (09/19/88)

In article <14436@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> c60a-1bq@web-1a.berkeley.edu () writes:
>When I uudecoded moriabin, i found that the header file for MORIABIN.ARC
>was damaged...it
>occured on the 2nd file in MORIABIN.ARC

There is only one file in MORIABIN.ARC, so you should be safe.  Feel free
to request the relevant parts of the posting (06 through 15) from the ssyx
archive server if you have more problems.

---
These are my opinions, and in no way reflect those of UCSC, which are wrong.
Steven Grimm		Moderator, comp.{sources,binaries}.atari.st
koreth@ssyx.ucsc.edu	uunet!ucbvax!ucscc!ssyx!koreth

trb@stag.UUCP ( Todd Burkey ) (09/19/88)

In article <14436@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> c60a-1bq@web-1a.berkeley.edu () writes:
>When I uudecoded moriabin, i found that the header file for MORIABIN.ARC
>was damaged.  Did this happen everyehere, or am I doing something wrong?

It uudecoded fine here, but I've noticed two problems with it so
far...first, it hangs quite often on me (both when I use if from the
desk top and when I run it from gulam). I haven't made it out of the
bartering stages yet (it always hangs when I am moving between the
first screens buildings). No bombs, just nothing happening (except
hearing the keyclicks) as I press keys. The other problem is just one
of implementation. The command line options are lower case only, so
you really can't run moria as a '.ttp' file. The reason being that the
desktop uppercases all your text that you type. The workaround for
this is to simply write a little wrapper program that pexec's the
moria code with the appropriate command tail. This wrapper can also
set the SHELL variable at the the same time.

  -Todd Burkey
   trb@stag.UUCP

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) (09/20/88)

 ( John Kawakami ) writes:
>When I uudecoded moriabin, i found that the header file for MORIABIN.ARC
>was damaged.  Did this happen everyehere, or am I doing something wrong?
>BTW, our uudecode is pretty primitive, so I had to knit the files together
>to decode it.  I doubt this had any effect on this particular error as it
>occured on the 2nd file in MORIABIN.ARC

I used "uud" and have found no damage yet.
In mine there was only one file.
Here is the result of doing

	arc v MORIABIN.ARC

Name          Length    Stowage    SF   Size now  Date       Time    CRC
============  ========  ========  ====  ========  =========  ======  ====
MORIA           370735  Crunched   42%    217156   5 Sep 88   8:22p  31da
        ====  ========            ====  ========
Total      1    370735             42%    217156

--
    L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
	ljdickey@WATDCS.UWaterloo.ca	ljdickey@water.BITNET

saj@chinet.UUCP (Stephen Jacobs) (09/21/88)

In article <598@stag.UUCP>, trb@stag.UUCP ( Todd Burkey ) writes:
> It uudecoded fine here, but I've noticed two problems with it so
> far...first, it hangs quite often on me (both when I use if from the
> desk top and when I run it from gulam). I haven't made it out of the
> bartering stages yet (it always hangs when I am moving between the
> first screens buildings). No bombs, just nothing happening (except
> hearing the keyclicks) as I press keys. The other problem is just one
> of implementation. The command line options are lower case only, so
> you really can't run moria as a '.ttp' file. The reason being that the
> desktop uppercases all your text that you type. The workaround for
> this is to simply write a little wrapper program that pexec's the
> moria code with the appropriate command tail. This wrapper can also
> set the SHELL variable at the the same time.

I've played this version of moria for probably about a hundred hours without
a real keyboard lockup.  There was a problem when I did a ".<direction>"
move while confused, but it cleared itself in a few seconds.  The program is
so large that I wonder if there might be too much already in your machine's
memory when you load it.  I generally have a hard disk interface and a clock
setter in the auto folder, foldr100, FATSPEED, and the control panel.  ST
curses is a stack hog, but the program was compiled with LOTS of stack space
to allow for that.
   The case problem was a really dumb oversight.  It should only interfere
with the use of the rogue key layout and consulting the highscores file,
though.  TOS ignores upper and lower case in filenames.  If this bothers
people enough, maybe someone (maybe me?) could come up with a binary patch.
In my experience, there's rarely a sequence of 20 op-codes that can't be
shortened enough to squeeze in 2 more.

trb@stag.UUCP ( Todd Burkey ) (09/23/88)

In article <6644@chinet.UUCP> saj@chinet.UUCP (Stephen Jacobs) writes:
>In article <598@stag.UUCP>, trb@stag.UUCP ( Todd Burkey ) writes:
>> far...first, it hangs quite often on me (both when I use if from the
>> desk top and when I run it from gulam). I haven't made it out of the
>> bartering stages yet (it always hangs when I am moving between the
>
>I've played this version of moria for probably about a hundred hours without
>a real keyboard lockup.  There was a problem when I did a ".<direction>"

I should have mentioned that I was using the -r option when it hung up
(even from a wrapper program with about 900K free before invoking it
and no accessories, ram disks, spoolers, turbo-dos's, etc running.)
It always seems to hang when I hit the h key (direction movement) as I
am moving between buildings on the first level. I will try the 'vms'
mode tonite and see if that works ok (guess I will have to read the docs
after all :-) ).

 -Todd Burkey
  trb@stag.UUCP