[comp.sys.atari.st] Line A and Hard Disks

neil@cs.hw.ac.uk (Neil Forsyth) (09/21/88)

I was poking around in Neochrome the other day (is that illegal?) and found
some more negative Line A offsets.

Screen width    -$2B4   # Note: The mouse pointer is clipped by these

Screen height   -$2B2

Colours         -$29A

Mouse X         -$258   # These change even when mouse cursor is disabled

Mouse Y         -$25A

Since they are in Neochrome and work with both ROM 1.00 and 1.02 then I assume
they are officially supported. Thanks to his involvement with the BIOS Dave
Staugas seems to be in a rather privileged position to know all this sort of
stuff. Would Atari care to comment on these locations?

Now a different topic. I have a Xebec S1410A SASI controller board connected
to a Hitachi DK511 40MB disk drive. When I do a system reset the heads take
quite a time (and small steps) to get back to the boot partition C. If I have
accessed partion E or F the ST times out and I have to press reset again.
There is no problem going from F to C during normal usage only at reset and
I know from experimentation that the problem does not involve the ST hardware
or host card. Is this just a quirk of the Xebec that I have to live with or
does someone know of a solution?

/ DISCLAIMER: Unless otherwise stated, the above comments are entirely my own \
!                                                                             !
! "I think all right thinking people in this country are sick and tired of    !
! being told that ordinary decent people are fed up in this country with      !
! being sick and tired. I'm certainly not and I'm sick and tired of being     !
! told that I am!" - Monty Python                                             !
!                                                                             !
! Neil Forsyth                           JANET:  neil@uk.ac.hw.cs             !
! Dept. of Computer Science              ARPA:   neil@cs.hw.ac.uk             !
! Heriot-Watt University                 UUCP:   ..!ukc!cs.hw.ac.uk!neil      !
! Edinburgh                                                                   !
! Scotland                                                                    !
\_____________________________________________________________________________/

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (09/24/88)

In article <1971@brahma.cs.hw.ac.uk> neil@cs.hw.ac.uk (Neil Forsyth) writes:

> I was poking around in Neochrome the other day (is that illegal?) and found
> some more negative Line A offsets.
>
> Screen width    -$2B4   # Note: The mouse pointer is clipped by these
>
> Screen height   -$2B2
>
> Colours         -$29A
>
> Mouse X         -$258   # These change even when mouse cursor is disabled
>
> Mouse Y         -$25A
>
> Since they are in Neochrome and work with both ROM 1.00 and 1.02 then I assume
> they are officially supported. Thanks to his involvement with the BIOS Dave
> Staugas seems to be in a rather privileged position to know all this sort of
> stuff. Would Atari care to comment on these locations?

Don't be snide.  Atari *has* commented on these locations.  They are
documented in S.A.L.A.D., the new Line-A document (by Jim Eisenstein and
Mark Jansen).  If you are a developer and would like a copy, call or
write Cindy Claveran, of Developer Support.  I believe the document is
also in the developer-only areas of some online services, like
CompuServe and GEnie.  (If it isn't, I'm sorry -- I'm not sure.)