[comp.sys.atari.st] TOS--Whats next??

wao@aluxz.UUCP (William Oswald) (09/17/88)

I've been reading about TOS 1.4 on the net for awhile and it sounds
good to me but I would like to ask Alan and Roy a question. This
might have been covered already but --- can we expect a multitasking
version of TOS in the future?

Bill Oswald known as wao@aluxz

good@atari.UUCP (Roy Good) (09/18/88)

in article <948@aluxz.UUCP>, wao@aluxz.UUCP (William Oswald) says:

> I've been reading about TOS 1.4 on the net for awhile and it sounds
> good to me but I would like to ask Alan and Roy a question. This
> might have been covered already but --- can we expect a multitasking
> version of TOS in the future?
>
> Bill Oswald known as wao@aluxz
Possibly, but not in the near future, from Atari. The TOS 1.4 clean-up
gives us the source baseline for near-future processor-line expansion.
Resources will address that issue first.
Multiuser operating systems in the form of UNIX System V.3.1 (tm's for AT&T)
for 32-bit products, and the already/imminently available OS/9 and Minix
for the 16-bit.
Roy Good/Atari

rogers@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Bob Rogers) (09/22/88)

What changes does the new version of TOS include?  Will it be useful
without the blitter?

--

Bob Rogers					        rogers@StPaul.NCR.COM
NCR Comten, St. Paul, MN			{backbone}!ncrlnk!ncrcce!rogers

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (09/24/88)

In article <747@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM> rogers@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM writes:

> What changes does the new version of TOS include?  Will it be useful
> without the blitter?

We have already enumerated the changes here on the net.  There are a new
features on the Desktop, and performance improvements in GEMDOS.  Most
notably, the "40-folder limit" has almost gone away, Malloc has been
vastly improved, and some disk I/O is much faster.  (Ever say "show
info" on a 16MB partition? Takes ~10 seconds, doesn't it? Now it takes
less than one, and even less if the FAT is already cached.)