[comp.sys.atari.st] Where's Dr. T?

FXDDR@ALASKA.BITNET (Don Rice UAF CSG-West Ridge) (09/24/88)

The local Atari store normally only carries MIDI Recording Studio (MRS).  I
asked them what else they could come up with from Dr. T and they checked
their master list and found MRS, Keyboard Controlled Synthesizer (KCS), and
Fingers.  Nothing more.
So I wrote to Dr. T and asked about distributors.  Got a brochure back
listing a dozen ST programs, but no prices or where to get them from.
So I started calling places listed in the magazines.  They had various
combinations of MRS, KCS, and Fingers.  Even places that listed other
titles in their ads said that those three were all they had in stock.
For example, ComputAbility lists a bunch of Dr. T titles but when I called
they said they were "just picking up the Dr. T line" and only had MRS and
KCS in stock.
Finally I gave up and ordered Fingers from ST-Plus.  That's $34.95, the
man on the phone said.  When it got here, the bill was $60.00 (!!!) and
the price sticker on the box said $75 (!!!!).
Does anybody know of a reliable source for this stuff?  I got started with
Dr. T because it looked like there was a lot of room for growth...but if
I can't get ahold of it, it isn't much good.  Maybe time to check out
somebody else's line of MIDI software.
I'd also like to know if anybody has seen any sign of "Keys!" (the one
Dr. T has been advertising in all the magazines recently).
Thanks,
Don Rice
FXDDR@ALASKA
(Bitnet)

cochrane@spot.Colorado.EDU (COCHRANE JIM T) (09/24/88)

In article <8809240041.AA08784@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> <FXDDR%ALASKA.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU> writes:
>The local Atari store normally only carries MIDI Recording Studio (MRS).  I
>asked them what else they could come up with from Dr. T and they checked
>their master list and found MRS, Keyboard Controlled Synthesizer (KCS), and
>Fingers.  Nothing more.
...deleted...
>Does anybody know of a reliable source for this stuff?  I got started with
>Dr. T because it looked like there was a lot of room for growth...but if
>I can't get ahold of it, it isn't much good.  Maybe time to check out
>somebody else's line of MIDI software.

Have you tried MicrOtyme?  They're the most reliable mail order house for
the ST that I've been able to find.  They seem to know what they're doing,
they know what they have and they know whether they have the current version
of something; this is not the case with other mail order houses I've ordered
ST stuff from.  I believe that they have a fairly good selection of MIDI
software, so I would think there's a good chance they would have at least some
of the programs you're looking for.  Their phone #s and address is:

4049 Marshall Road
Dayton, Ohio 45429

1-800-255-5835
513-294-6236

You also might try to find a music store in a large city (probably LA or NY)
that sells ST MIDI stuff.

BTW, the only connection I have with MicrOtyme is as a satisfied customer
who's tired of mail order houses that don't know what they have, whether it's
for mono or color, whether it's the current version, how to read, etc., etc...