[comp.sys.atari.st] Spectre and the ROM question...

humtech@ucschu.UCSC.EDU (Mark Frost) (09/27/88)

I heard this question asked once before, but I never saw an answer so I guess
I'll just ask it again.

It has been implied that to use the Spectre, you need to have Mac ROMs. Where
in the world do you get these? I can't believe Apple is so generous as to sell
them to anyone who wants them. Where do you get them, and how expensive are
they?

Thanx

Mark Frost
	Office of the the Computing Coordinator
	Humanities Division
	University of California at Santa Cruz
Internet: humtech@ucschu.UCSC.EDU
Bitnet: humtech@ucschu.bitnet

rjung@sal6.usc.edu (Robert allen Jung) (09/27/88)

In article <4941@saturn.ucsc.edu> humtech@ucschu.ucsc.edu (Mark Frost) writes:
>It has been implied that to use the Spectre, you need to have Mac ROMs. Where
>in the world do you get these? I can't believe Apple is so generous as to sell
>them to anyone who wants them. Where do you get them, and how expensive are
>they?

  You're right, Apple Computers is too bureaucratic to be generous to sell
their 128K ROMs. However, Apple Dealers, being raised on an attitude of
"Make a buck any way you can" (why else are they selling Apples?  B-), will
gladly sell you whatever ROMs they have on hand. The 128K ROMs will cost
about $150~$200, I think.

  (And if you can't find a dealer nearby, mail-order services will usually
advertise that they have the ROMs as well. I also think Dave Small can help
you get them, but I'm not sure)

						--R.J.
						B-)

P.S. In response to the other question, there probably won't be a Spectre 256
because (1) the 256K ROMs aren't _that_ much different from the 128K ROMs, and
(2) the 256K ROMs support Mac-color, which Dave small has said he can't (and
won't even try to) hack out.

  Disclaimer: These are my views, and mine alone.
                                                             # ## #
  Mailing address: Beats me, just reply to this message      # ## #
                    (rjung@nunki.usc.edu?)                  ## ## ##
                                                         ####  ##  ####

dlm@druhi.ATT.COM (Dan Moore) (09/28/88)

in article <4941@saturn.ucsc.edu>, humtech@ucschu.UCSC.EDU (Mark Frost) says:
> It has been implied that to use the Spectre, you need to have Mac ROMs. Where
> in the world do you get these? I can't believe Apple is so generous as to sell
> them to anyone who wants them. Where do you get them, and how expensive are
> they?

	The Spectre 128 requires you to have either the Mac(tm) 64K or
128K ROMs.  The 128K ROMs are available from Apple dealers so that you
can upgrade a 64K ROM Mac to the 128K ROMs.  (Note: not all dealers
carry the ROM upgrades.)  They normally sell for about $90 to $100.

	You also might check ads in Computer Shopper.  Several companies
sell the 128K ROMs for upgrades.

					Dan Moore
					AT&T Bell Labs
					Denver