[comp.sys.atari.st] COBOL-compiler

chris@neabbs.UUCP (CHRIS WETEMANS) (10/01/88)

Hello world!

I've been looking for a COBOL-compiler (stop laughing) for quite a
while
now, but it seems no software-company is interested in making
such a compiler.
Has anyone heard of such a compiler on the market? (Has anyone heard
of COBOL at all in this newsgroup?)
I'm very interested, because there are several sources of usefull
programs lying around here.

Chris
(an aging programmer who still understands the ancient COBOL-language)

UUCP:  ...!mcvax!telmail!neabbs!chris
FIDO:  2:280/1  Chris Wetemans

saj@chinet.UUCP (Stephen Jacobs) (10/02/88)

In article <38466@neabbs.UUCP>, chris@neabbs.UUCP (CHRIS WETEMANS) writes:
> Hello world!
>
> I've been looking for a COBOL-compiler (stop laughing) for quite a
> while
> now, but it seems no software-company is interested in making
> such a compiler.
> Has anyone heard of such a compiler on the market? (Has anyone heard
> of COBOL at all in this newsgroup?)

If you care THAT much about it, you should be able to use an IBM PC compiler
(Utah COBOL, frequently advertised in thick magazines, comes to mind) with
PC-ditto.  Of course, what you'd get out would be PC programs which would
still have to be run under PC-ditto.  This leads to the idea that you
might want to find out if the p-system (UCSD Pascal, that stuff: I forget
the name of the company that handles it now---something cute like Peachtree)
includes a COBOL compiler.
Anyhow, if you get a compiler from COBOL to pseudo-assembler that runs
under PC-ditto, that leaves you to implement the pseudo-machine on the ST.
You might even enjoy doing it.  You might even be able to sell it.