[comp.sys.atari.st] Where's the message?

Friesen@PCO-MULTICS.HBI.HONEYWELL.COM (10/04/88)

How come I never see the messages that I post, but other people do,
because I get replies to them.  Also, it seems that I miss other
messages, because I'll see a relply to a message that I never saw the
original to.  I really don't pay attention to the volume number, so I
may be missing whole volumes.

Any help is appreciated

Aric Friesen

Addresses:

Genie:  A.FRIESEN

ARPA:  Friesen%PCO@BCO-MULTICS.ARPA

greg@bilbo (Greg Wageman) (10/05/88)

In article <881004015706.271647@PCO-MULTICS.HBI.HONEYWELL.COM> Friesen%PCO@BCO-MULTICS.HBI.HONEYWELL.COM writes:

>How come I never see the messages that I post, but other people do,
>because I get replies to them.  Also, it seems that I miss other
>messages, because I'll see a relply to a message that I never saw the
>original to.  I really don't pay attention to the volume number, so I
>may be missing whole volumes.

That depends on what news software you are using.  With our
implementation of "rn" here at Schlumberger, I *do* see the messages I
post, but not in the same session in which I post them.  Also, much of
the news software in the United States has a "Distribution: " field,
which can restrict the propagation of articles.  I suspect that many
of the articles you miss are not marked for "world" distribution.
(Correct me if I'm wrong; I assumed that you are not located in the
U.S.)

Cheers,

Greg Wageman			ARPA:  greg%sentry@spar.slb.com
Schlumberger Technologies	BIX:   gwage
1601 Technology Drive		CIS:   74016,352
San Jose, CA 95110		GEnie: GWAGEMAN
(408) 437-5198			UUCP: ...!decwrl!spar!sentry!greg
Opinions expressed herein are solely the responsibility of the author.