[comp.sys.atari.st] Blitter problem

root@yale.UUCP (Celray Stalk) (10/06/88)

I just got a Mega-4 and am having a problem with the blitter chip.
With the blitter turned off, everything is fine.  With it on, partial
"shadows" of the window border get left behind when I drag a window
across the screen with the mouse.  These are little vertical lines of
random height running up from where the bottom of the window was as it
was being moved.  It looks as if the CPU is not synchronizing itself
properly with the blitter chip, perhaps aborting a blit in the middle.
The problem occurs with both TOS 1.2 (the Mega ROM) and the new
Developer's version of TOS 1.4.

Has anybody seen this problem before?  Do I have a bad blitter chip, or
is the problem systemic with all Mega's?

| Michael Fischer                                |
|    Arpanet:    <fischer-michael@cs.yale.edu>   |
|    Bitnet:     <fischer-michael@yalecs.bitnet> |
|    UUCP:       <fischer-michael@yale.UUCP>     |

jgj@hcx2.SSD.HARRIS.COM (10/07/88)

> With the blitter turned off, everything is fine.  With it on, partial
>"shadows" of the window border get left behind when I drag a window
>across the screen with the mouse.  These are little vertical lines of

By any chance, are you running one of those clock accessories that put the
time in the upper right hand corner?  I observed the same thing, but only
when that clock accessory is installed.  I suspect it involves a reentrency
problem with the routines.  The accessory performs (I assume) a-line operations
from interupt level and the code that handles the hardware blitter gets
confused when it gets to many pending requests.  Atari, can you say
"semaphore"?  Realize that this is a guess.  Since the fastest speed up
I have ever clocked the  blitter to have was about 5%,  Just turn the blitter
off and forget it was ever there.

Jeffrey Glen Jackson  | Satan jeered, "You're dead meat Jesus, I'm gonna
jgj@ssd.harris.com    |     bust you up tonight."

root@yale.UUCP (Celray Stalk) (10/09/88)

In article <46700013@hcx2> jgj@hcx2.SSD.HARRIS.COM writes:

>> With the blitter turned off, everything is fine.  With it on, partial
>>"shadows" of the window border get left behind when I drag a window
>>across the screen with the mouse.  These are little vertical lines of
>
>By any chance, are you running one of those clock accessories that put the
>time in the upper right hand corner?

Yes, I was!  I just deistalled it and the problem went away.  Thank you
very much for your help.