[comp.sys.atari.st] Writing to write protected disks

Friesen@PCO-MULTICS.HBI.HONEYWELL.COM (10/04/88)

Everyone wants a program that will do it, well here it is:

************************* * * * PINBALL FACTORY * * BY:  * * MITCHRON *
*************************

It uses a wierd forrmat (it always makes weird noises on my floppy) for
copy protection.  If you try to save a pinball game you have made to the
original disk whether it is write protected or not, it won't save the
whole thing, but part of it will be saved.  The only way you (or at
least I) can save a game, is if you save it to another disk.

Aric Friesen

Addresses:

Genie:  A.FRIESEN

ARPA:  Friesen%PCO@BCO-MULTICS.ARPA

BobR@cup.portal.com (10/06/88)

weird format and writes to the disk, write protected or not...

In order to save time when mass-producing their disks, MichTron generally does
NOT format the entire disk, but only formats the actual tracks that the
program and files will be using.  Thus customers have had difficulty backing
up some disks by using the "Drag the disk drive Icon" method of copying an
entire disk.  In these cases, the disks may possibly be backed up by copying
them file-by-file (assuming the disk is not otherwise copy-protected).

I can't say for certain, but what *might* have happened when Aric tried to
save a pinball game he'd created, to the master disk is... with the write
protect off, a partial file could have been written on whatever spare sectors
were left over from the partial formatting.  This partial file may have still
shown up when trying to write to the disk when subsequently write-protected..
it's possible that the Pinball Factory does not report an attempt to write
to a protected disk as an error  (many MichTron games do not), but simply
returned to the menu, leaving the partial file from before...

(Naturally this last is all speculation on my part, as I'm not about to try
writing to my original Pinball Factory disk to check it out..! :)

BobR  (Give me time, I'll eventually come up with a fancy signature..!)

neil@cs.hw.ac.uk (Neil Forsyth) (10/10/88)

In article <881004015530.736833@PCO-MULTICS.HBI.HONEYWELL.COM> Friesen%PCO@BCO-MULTICS.HBI.HONEYWELL.COM writes:

>Everyone wants a program that will do it, well here it is:
>
>************************* * * * PINBALL FACTORY * * BY:  * * MITCHRON *
>*************************
>
>It uses a wierd forrmat (it always makes weird noises on my floppy) for
>copy protection.  If you try to save a pinball game you have made to the
>original disk whether it is write protected or not, it won't save the
>whole thing, but part of it will be saved.  The only way you (or at
>least I) can save a game, is if you save it to another disk.

Here is one of the many expected replies to this ...
Your hardware must be bust.

>Aric Friesen
>
>Addresses:
>
>Genie:  A.FRIESEN
>
>ARPA:  Friesen%PCO@BCO-MULTICS.ARPA

/ DISCLAIMER: Unless otherwise stated, the above comments are entirely my own \
!                                                                             !
! "I think all right thinking people in this country are sick and tired of    !
! being told that ordinary decent people are fed up in this country with      !
! being sick and tired. I'm certainly not and I'm sick and tired of being     !
! told that I am!" - Monty Python                                             !
! Neil Forsyth                           JANET:  neil@uk.ac.hw.cs             !
! Dept. of Computer Science              ARPA:   neil@cs.hw.ac.uk             !
! Heriot-Watt University                 UUCP:   ..!ukc!cs.hw.ac.uk!neil      !
! Edinburgh                                                                   !
! Scotland                                                                    !