[comp.sys.atari.st] was : Re: Umoria lockup Is: shell escape

n62@nikhefh.hep.nl (Klamer Schutte) (10/11/88)

In article <7168@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> ins_bjjb@jhunix.UUCP (Jared J Brennan) writes:
>Bugs:
>
>   The shell escape function doesn't exactly do a shell escape.  You can't
>    return to the shell you called Moria from.  You can, however, call a
>    paging program, a disk formatter, ANOTHER shell, or whatever.

This is not supposed to be a bug on a ST. The only possibility it has is to make
a system call which is handled by the shell ( like U*IX system() ) by calling
a routine who's pointer is in the system variables ( I don't know which; sorry )

A possibility you do have is when moria does a shell escape ( or some other programs as well ) is to setenv SHELL to the name of the shell; I set it to the name
of a small program ( source on request ) which just reads a line and executes it
by calling system on this line.

Klamer Schutte			mcvax!nikhefh!n62	      n62@nikhefh.hep.nl