[comp.sys.atari.st] Timer interrupts

csan@its63b.ed.ac.uk (Andie) (04/27/87)

	I would like an interrupt to occur every (say) minute (or around this
resolution) .... what can I use to provide this interrupt ? (If you havent
already guessed, I am trying to write an interrupt routine that will place the
current time on the top line of the screen ....) ok ... so its not original..
but great oaks etc....

Does anyone know of a source for this interrupt ? MFP ?

Andie Ness . Department of Computer Science
              EDINBURGH University.

                   ARPA:  csan%ed.itspna@ucl-cs.arpa
                   UUCP:  ...!seismo!mcvax!ukc!itspna!csan
                   JANET: csan@uk.ac.ed.itspna

% These are my own views and any resemblance to any coherent reasoning is
% probably a typo.
%
%  "The back row strikes again!"

john@viper.UUCP (John Stanley) (05/04/87)

In article <382@its63b.ed.ac.uk> csan@itspna.ed.ac.uk (Andie) writes:

 >	I would like an interrupt to occur every (say) minute (or around this
 >resolution) .... what can I use to provide this interrupt ? (If you havent
 >already guessed, I am trying to write an interrupt routine that will place
 >the current time on the top line of the screen ....) ok ... so its
 >not original..

  No, not original...  Matter of fact, already done...

  I've already written an am/pm style digital clock that remains on-screen
in all programs (not just GEM psudo-multitasking ones).  It can be turned
on or off from within -any- program and does not take up a desk accesory
slot.  It boots in any resolution, is written entirely in assembly, has
built-in documentation, and only leaves a very small interrupt handler
behind when you install it..

  Before I toss it to the net, I want to modify it to switch resolutions
when the user does.  Currently you can boot up the clock in any resolution,
but it's not really readable if you switch.  Soon as I have the resolution
change working, I'll post it to the net.  (or if I don't get it working
soon, I'll probably send the current version to Turner anyway..)

  BTW, if anyone has alignment/line-length/screen data for the extended
graphics modes coming up on (I think..) the EST systems, please contact
me.  I'd like to include the data for those resolutions...

---
John Stanley (john@viper.UUCP)
Software Consultant - DynaSoft Systems
UUCP: ...{amdahl,ihnp4,rutgers}!{meccts,dayton}!viper!john

jpexg@mit-hermes.ai.mit.edu.AI.MIT.EDU (John Purbrick) (06/13/88)

I've got a program where I want to get interrupts at a fairly high frequency,
up to 1 KHz (the interrupt won't do much, so there should be time for it).
Megamax, bless them, included an example of how to do this in the Laser C
instruction book, and I copied and ran it. It interrupts at 48Hz, and works
perfectly. Unfortunately, that's the ONLY frequency it runs at. The timer
chip has various pre-divider rates (anywhere up to divide-by-200), but any
division less then 200 (the largest, therefore the slowest) causes a crash.
Then you can specify a starting point for the count-to-256 counter that
actually generates the interrupt, but if that's set to anything > 0 (0 means
count the full 256) again a crash. Is my problem with Megamax's specific
code (which seems straightforward enough) or is it that the ST simply can't
generate faster interrupts? Help would be much appreciated.

jpd@aiva.ed.ac.uk (Paul Dourish) (10/12/88)

Does anyone have any example srcs of MFP timer interrupts. I want to be able to
use a Un*x-style alarm function and would be grateful for any information.

Whilst Ive still got my begging-bowl in hand - does anyone have any detailed
information on the Line A functions/variables....I have Abacus "Internals" but
it is incomplete and in many places, wrong.

I have heard say of the SALAD document but as far as I can make out, it is just
for developers.

Thanks 10^6

--Andie.
|Andie Ness                  |  ARPA: andie%ed.eusip@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk       |
|Speech Input Project,       |  UUCP: ...!uunet!mcvax!ukc!eusip!andie       |
|University of Edinburgh,    |  JANET: andie@uk.ac.ed.eusip                 |
|Edinburgh EH1,              | "To be or not to be what was the question ?" |
|Scotland.                   | "If music be the food of love eat Tunes"     |
|(Phone: +31 225 8883 x279.) |                                              |