[comp.sys.atari.st] Postscript and TDP

jac423@leah.Albany.Edu (Julius A Cisek) (09/28/88)

Is there a way to capture postscript output from Timeworks Desktop
Publisher into a file? I don't have a lazer printer, but have access to
one on campus, and would like to be able to u/l the captured files to
our VAX for printing on the lazer.

This probably means re-installing it for a postscript lazer printer
(mine is installed for the Epson LX) and then somehow capturing or
re-routing the data that would go into the printer port upon printing.

Is this possible? If so, how?

--
What about technology, computers, .------------------. J.A.Cisek
nuclear fusion?  I'm terrified of |Spectral Fantasies| jac423@leah.albany.edu

decouty@irisa.UUCP (Bertrand Decouty) (09/30/88)

In article <1060@leah.Albany.Edu> jac423@leah.Albany.Edu (Julius A Cisek) writes:

>Is there a way to capture postscript output from Timeworks Desktop
>Publisher into a file? I don't have a lazer printer, but have access to

I don't think so. I have looked, with a protocol analyser, how Timeworks
manages a Postscript printer. First, Timeworks asks the printer for its
comm parameters in order to know which kind of flow contol is used.
 If the options value of this parameter is not 0 (which is the default value
for a Laserwriter) Timeworks assumes RTS/CTS. If the printer does not answer,
TW asks you for a new printer.sys.
Is there anybody who has used TW with a parallel interface PS printer, such
as QMS PS810?

>This probably means re-installing it for a postscript lazer printer
>(mine is installed for the Epson LX) and then somehow capturing or
>re-routing the data that would go into the printer port upon printing.
>
>Is this possible? If so, how?

At least, you must install TW for a PS printer because fonts names and kerning
info are NOT the same!

What is the last version of Timeworks? What about ZapfDingbats and Symbol fonts?

Here in France, the distributor of Timeworks is ....  Atari France!
All ads for 1040/Mega ST line are about the theme: you can't find a better
choice for laser wordprocessing than the ST (the WP package includes, for the
1040st a french wordplus clone, written by D. Laurent (et al.), the author
of Turbodos. VERY quick - and Timeworks for Mega ad)

The wp software, called LE REDACTEUR (The writer) has been developped
for a french newspaper, LIBERATION, hence speed and some features for this
type of business: text analysis, index, word occurences...

LIBERATION has bought around 100 ST, and now another newspaper, OUEST-FRANCE
(800 000 ex/day) used Atari! Good references for an advertisement!

See you later

    ----- Bertrand DECOUTY @ INRIA-IRISA (Centre de Rennes) -----
+------------------------------+----------------------------------------------+
| IRISA - INRIA                |  EMAIL : decouty@irisa.fr                    |
| Campus de Beaulieu           |  UUCP  : {eunet,mcvax,inria!}irisa!decouty   |
| F-35042 Rennes Cedex         |          decouty@irisa.UUCP                  |
| FRANCE                       |  BITNET: decouty@FRCICB71                    |
+--------------------------+---+--------------------+-------------------------+
| PHONE : +33  99 36 20 00 | TELEX : 950473 UNIRISA | FAX  : +33  99 38 38 32 |
+--------------------------+------------------------+-------------------------+

"Hugh_Messenger.EuroPARC"@XEROX.COM (10/11/88)

Vn 1.12 of Timeworks DTP includes the option to save Postscript output to a file.

   -- Hugh

decouty@irisa.UUCP (Bertrand Decouty) (10/13/88)

In article <881011-043527-5284@Xerox> "Hugh_Messenger.EuroPARC"@XEROX.COM writes:
>Vn 1.12 of Timeworks DTP includes the option to save Postscript output to a file.
>
>   -- Hugh

Does it support Postscript fonts better? Is there a way to use symbol font?
Other new features?

Thanks

    ----- Bertrand DECOUTY @ INRIA-IRISA (Centre de Rennes) -----
| IRISA - INRIA                |  EMAIL : decouty@irisa.fr                    |
| Campus de Beaulieu           |  					      |
| F-35042 Rennes Cedex         |  UUCP  : {uunet,mcvax,inria}!irisa!decouty   |
| FRANCE                       |          decouty@irisa.UUCP                  |