[comp.sys.atari.st] Digitizer for the Spectrum 512???

balsley@topaz.rutgers.edu (John Balsley) (10/12/88)

	I have been using Spectrum 512 for quite some time now, and I
think the graphics are outstanding.  I was wondering if there is a
color digitizer out there somewhere which works with Spectrum or at
least stores pictures in Spectrum format to capture the full color
capabilities of the ST.  Does such a thing exist for either Spectrum
or any of the other 512 color graphics/paint programs currently on the
market for the Atari?  Any information would be helpful.
--

John Balsley
Rutgers University

rjung@sal7.usc.edu (Robert allen Jung) (10/12/88)

(Gee, I haven't posted in a while...)

  Yes, there is a Spectrum digitizer for the ST (How do you think Antic gets
their nifty Spectrum pictures for _The Catalog_?)

  Trio Computing (you know them, they wrote Spectrum!) has independently
released DIGISPEC, which is supposed to give your Computereyes digitizer
kit Spectrum-scanning capabilities. I don't know much else, short of that it
exists (yes, I saw the package at my local store), but here's something for
you to chew on for a while.

						--R.J.
						B-)

  Disclaimer: These are my views, and mine alone.
                                                             # ## #
  Mailing address: Beats me, just reply to this message      # ## #
                    (rjung@nunki.usc.edu?)                  ## ## ##
                                                         ####  ##  ####

merlyn@intelob.intel.com (Randal L. Schwartz @ Stonehenge) (10/13/88)

In article <Oct.11.19.48.57.1988.7522@topaz.rutgers.edu>, balsley@topaz (John Balsley) writes:

| 	I have been using Spectrum 512 for quite some time now, and I
| think the graphics are outstanding.  I was wondering if there is a
| color digitizer out there somewhere which works with Spectrum or at
| least stores pictures in Spectrum format to capture the full color
| capabilities of the ST.  Does such a thing exist for either Spectrum
| or any of the other 512 color graphics/paint programs currently on the
| market for the Atari?  Any information would be helpful.

I have used the "Digispec" utility from Trio Engineering (the people
that wrote Spectrum 512), which allows me to use ComputerEyes with
Spectrum 512.  I find it satisfactory, although the best pictures are
made with separate R-G-B passes, rather than one fell swoop in
composite color.

The user interface for Digispec is much like the interface for
Spectrum 512.  If you like one, you'll like the other.

Digispec allows me to diddle with dithering to get "in-between" colors
at the expense of image crispness, and RGB offsets to adjust for bad
lighting or special effects.  The raw RGB captured image can also be
stored for later diddling (if I have disk space :-).  Digispec also
translates GFI images using the same user interface... really nice for
importing pictures from that "other system that starts with an A" :-).
--
Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095
on contract to BiiN Technical Information Services (for now :-),

greg@bilbo (Greg Wageman) (10/14/88)

In article <3020@mipos3.intel.com> merlyn@intelob.intel.com (Randal L. Schwartz @ Stonehenge) writes:

>I have used the "Digispec" utility from Trio Engineering (the people
>that wrote Spectrum 512), which allows me to use ComputerEyes with
>Spectrum 512.  I find it satisfactory, although the best pictures are
>made with separate R-G-B passes, rather than one fell swoop in
>composite color.

OK, so where do I get it?  Digispec, that is, I've already got
ComputerEyes.
Greg Wageman			ARPA:  greg%sentry@spar.slb.com
Schlumberger Technologies	BIX:   gwage
1601 Technology Drive		CIS:   74016,352
San Jose, CA 95110		GEnie: GWAGEMAN
(408) 437-5198			UUCP: ...!decwrl!spar!sentry!greg
Opinions expressed herein are solely the responsibility of the author.