[comp.sys.atari.st] ST replacement mice

bane@arisia.Xerox.COM (John R. Bane) (10/21/88)

The left button on my Atari mouse seems to be giving up the ghost.  Has anybody
had any particularly good or bad experiences with replacement mice?  How
long is the left button supposed to last (this one is about two years old)?

--
	Rene P.S. Bane
	ReneBane.pa@xerox.ARPA

wheels@mks.UUCP (Gerry Wheeler) (10/21/88)

In article <436@arisia.Xerox.COM>, bane@arisia.Xerox.COM (John R. Bane) writes:
> The left button on my Atari mouse seems to be giving up the ghost.

When mine started getting flakey, I took it apart and gave it a shot of
WD-40.  It's been working fine ever since.

As I recall, there are two or three screws on the bottom of the mouse,
which allow you to remove the top half of the case.  Once that is done,
there are screws which hold the internal plastic frame into the case.
Remove that and you can get at the switches on the PCB.  It's not a
sealed switch, so just take aim with the long plastic hose on the WD-40
and let 'er rip.

You can also clean the rollers which run against the rubber ball while
it's apart.
--
     Gerry Wheeler                           Phone: (519)884-2251
Mortice Kern Systems Inc.               UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!wheels

c91a-ra@franny.Berkeley.EDU (john kawakami reader) (10/22/88)

In three parts:

You may want to try to salvage your mouse: get the button fixed.  This is
especially true if you have a "made in Japan" mouse.  As you may get the
inferior "made in Taiwan" mouse that Atari ships now (this is no swipe at
Taiwanese manufacturing.  That mouse has a bad track record, and is inferior
in construction.  Just open one and compare it to the Japan mouse).

I don't like mice much, and I hate the the mice on the ST, Amiga, and Mac.
Is there a hack to put a logitech, microsoft, or MSC (my fave) mouse on an
ST?  And are there any vendors who sell mice (and pads) without the IBM-PC
interface boards?

Is there any standard way to adjust the mouse cursor speed like in X? (set
mouse velocity, acceleration, and delta to move).

John Kawakami  /  c91a-ra@franny.berkeley.edu  /  I'm sorryyyy, I'm sorryyyy,
              /                               /   I'm sorryyyy, I'm sorryyyy.
             /                               /         -S. Central Rain (REM)

BobR@cup.portal.com (Bob BobR Retelle) (10/22/88)

Rene P.S. Bane asks:
>The left button on my Atari mouse seems to be giving up the ghost.  Has anybo
>had any particularly good or bad experiences with replacement mice?

A new Atari mouse will cost you about $59-$69 *if* you can find one in stock
anywhere...

You can send your mouse in for replacement under Atari's exchange program
for $25.00...

Or you can simply replace the switch that's worn out (as I just did), for
about $2.00...

(I've *gotta* get busy and write that article about how to do it yourself..!)

BobR

src@xanth.cs.odu.edu (Scott R. Chilcote) (10/24/88)

In article <530@mks.UUCP> you write:
>In article <436@arisia.Xerox.COM>, bane@arisia.Xerox.COM (John R. Bane) writes:
>> The left button on my Atari mouse seems to be giving up the ghost.
>
>When mine started getting flakey, I took it apart and gave it a shot of
>WD-40.  It's been working fine ever since.

   In case nobody says this first--

   Be EXTREMELY careful using WD-40 on your mouse or near your ST.  WD-40 makes
an excellent conductor, and the mouse contains a small electronic circuitboard.

   Take it from someone who has worked on STs with the telltale odor of WD-40
in the air.  It is not a cure-all, just a handy lubricant.  It can make trash
out of a functional piece of gear in no time.

|.--------------------------------..---------------------------------------.|
|| Usenet: src@xanth.UUCP         ||                                       ||
||   Arpa: src@xanth.cs.odu.edu   ||    "If you love something, set it     ||
||  Earth: Scott R. Chilcote      ||       free.                           ||
||                                ||     If it doesn't return,             ||
||     |||     "Sure, Jack, we    ||       Hunt it down and kill it!"      ||
||     |||   trust you.  But will ||                                       ||
||    / | \   will you respect us ||                  -- Klingon Proverb   ||
||   /  |  \     in the morning?" ||                                       ||