[comp.sys.atari.st] Software from Atari Corp.

rjung@sal31.usc.edu (Robert allen Jung) (10/25/88)

in article <3f2bf768.14e07@gtephx.UUCP>, covertr@gtephx.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) says:

> What I *HATE* is the Atari software. I have been griping to John Townsend,
> and anyone else who will listen at Atari, for a month now about bugs in the
> Diablo 630 Emulator (DE630 for short)...
>
>  [Other bugs about Atari Laser omitted]

  This may be generalizing a lot of things, but it seems that while Atari
Corp. makes quality machines (The ones that get out the door -- And I am
grateful for the new "shut up until it shows up" policy), they can't produce
much quality software if Jack Tramiel's life depended on it.

  Most of the software that gets released with Atari's name on it has been
(shudder!) game software for the 2600/7800/XEGS. Not that that's bad, mind
you, but... And then, when something like _Microsoft Write_ (Word? I don't
want to remember) comes out, it smells so bad that it reaffirms the public
misconception of "Atari's run by a bunch of zonked-out vidheads".

  Then again, nobody's making Atari to be a software house...

In article <1196@atari.UUCP> danscott@atari.UUCP (Dan Scott) writes:
>You are quite correct in us never releasing an Epson emulator for the SLM804,
>however, I do not seem to recall us ever announcing that we were working on
>such a project.  Also, why shopuld we spend the man-hours to develop another
>emulator for the SLM804 when there is already a GOOD one from Germany available
>in the U.S. as PD?

  This bounces off an interesting (and cheap! Somebody go call Jack) idea: Why
don't Atari include free disks of quality PUBLIC-DOMAIN software with each ST
sold? Including ST BASIC (reetch!) doesn't quite match up to Hype(r)Card.

  Just imagine, a new Atari ST buyer, with his system assembled. He then
decides to boot up the two "Atari Free Software" disks he has. Imagine the
thrill (and work performed) when he sees:

	* Public-domain B&W and color DEGAS Elite pictures, with
		slideshow program.
	* A public-domain text editor/terminal program
	* A public-domain game or two (Megaroids, Wheel or Fortune?)
        * Assorted READ.ME files on user groups, where to get Atari
		Customer support, etc.

  I mean, this is an INCREDIBLY CHEAP and BENEFICIAL move here. Atari gets
hit with nothing worse than disk copying costs (okay, an extra $10 for the
ST?), and the user gets LEGITAMITE software that helps him DO something. It
may not be up to _MacPaint_ and _MacWrite_, but if the selections are good,
who cares?

  (And if some of the best files are Shareware, Atari can always make a few
donations to the authors...A $500 check from Atari Corp. is an interesting
incentive to keep independent "hacker" programmers happy)

  Now will somebody tell me why doesn't Atari do something like this? It looks
like a win-win situation from where I'm standing...

						--R.J.
						B-)

P.S. Talking about software...The other day I saw a program called "Super
Breakout" for the ST. The title page says it's from Paradox, and is (c) Atari
Corp. A small file, only 70,000 bytes long.

  The question: I have not seen this program advertised/mentioned ANYwhere. Is
this game PUBLIC-DOMAIN? Or was I eyeballing a beta/pirated version?

  Disclaimer: These are my views, and mine alone.
                                                             # ## #
  Mailing address: Beats me, just reply to this message      # ## #
                    (rjung@nunki.usc.edu?)                  ## ## ##