[comp.sys.atari.st] Just a little rumor...

keithr@vice.ICO.TEK.COM (U.D.M.) (10/19/88)

Here is a rumor I heard from a local dealer.  The lack of
availablity of 1040STs in the US is because Atari is in production
of 68030 machines to be unleashed at COMDEX in November.  Anyone else
heard anything to this effect?

_______________-------------^^^^^^^^^^^^^^--------------________________

Keith Rast
keithr@icogem1.ICO.TEK.COM

brazil@pawl17.pawl.rpi.edu (Timothy E. Onders) (10/21/88)

Yes, it's true. Atari is introducing their 68030 machine at Comdex. It is
supposed to be based on VME bus and can use Sun boards. It seems it will
be running BSD 4.3 and will include 8 channel 16 bit digitized sound. The
price estimate I heard floating around is $2000, but this could be dealer
or developer, and I'm not sure with what options. It will most likely,
however include the high rez 19" or 17" COLOR graphics system and monitor.
It will start shipping soon after Comdex. This news is mostly from Sam
Tramiel.
     Also, Atari has signed a big new RAM contract and will put all
production, supposedly including the ATW, into full swing within two months.
Atari plans to be one of the top 4 computer companies in the world in 1989,
and I believe they will do it.
					Timothy Onders
					brazil@pawl.rpi.edu

wolf@pyr.gatech.EDU ( Thomas Wolf) (10/21/88)

In article <1483@imagine.PAWL.RPI.EDU> brazil@pawl17.pawl.rpi.edu (Timothy E. Onders) writes:
...some deleted stuff...
>Atari plans to be one of the top 4 computer companies in the world in 1989,
>and I believe they will do it.

Hmm. That "only" means they have to outsell companies such as IBM, Apple,
Digital Equipment...and not in terms of "# of machines sold" but in amount
of profit made!  How much chance of that happening?

Hell may freeze over first...
(This is not meant as a put-down of Atari, but simply a comparison of
SIZE.  After all, companies like IBM and DEC make BILLIONS in profits on
their computers...Atari's profits are not likely to approach any such numbers
in the near future.)

brianb@bucsb.UUCP (Brian Bresnahan) (10/22/88)

In article <1483@imagine.PAWL.RPI.EDU> brazil@pawl17.pawl.rpi.edu
(Timothy E. Onders) writes:

I don't know about anyone else here, but I am getting a little tired
of all the speculation about the 68030 machine, every article seems to
have a different description of features, and they all have amazingly
low prices.  Here is a prime example of this:

>Yes, it's true. Atari is introducing their 68030 machine at Comdex. It is
>supposed to be based on VME bus and can use Sun boards. It seems it will
>be running BSD 4.3 and will include 8 channel 16 bit digitized sound. The
>price estimate I heard floating around is $2000, but this could be dealer
>or developer, and I'm not sure with what options. It will most likely,
>however include the high rez 19" or 17" COLOR graphics system and monitor.
>It will start shipping soon after Comdex. This news is mostly from Sam
>Tramiel.

The person here in talking about all the special features that this
machine has, neglects to mention some of the very importants basics.
How much memory does it have, what are the disk storage options,
backup facilities etc.  If you are going to have BSD UNIX on it then
it needs a lot of disk space and a good amount of memory.  All of this
stuff costs money.  From a rough estimate, the memory, storage and
monitor come close to $2000, this does not include CPU, software,
packaging etc.

>     Also, Atari has signed a big new RAM contract and will put all
>production, supposedly including the ATW, into full swing within two months.
>Atari plans to be one of the top 4 computer companies in the world in 1989,
>and I believe they will do it.

You believe that they are going to be bigger than some of the companies
on this list
IBM
Apple
Digital
Wang
Prime
Control Data
Cray
Xerox
AT&T

Those are 8 that I know will be bigger, there are probably plenty more
which will be bigger.  Unless Atari gets way up in the Fortune 500, it
won't even be close.  I don't know who in Atari made this statement,
but that person is living in Fantasy land.

>					Timothy Onders
>					brazil@pawl.rpi.edu

___________________________
Brian Bresnahan
brianb@bucsf.bu.edu
engf0ic@buacca.bitnet

brazil@pawl17.pawl.rpi.edu (Timothy E. Onders) (10/24/88)

Note that Atari was in, I believe, the top 100 computer manufacturers as rated
by Fortune magazine. I can't remember exactly how high.
				brazil@pawl.rpi.edu

In article <1508@imagine.PAWL.RPI.EDU> (Timothy E. Onders) writes:
>Note that Atari was in, I believe, the top 100 computer manufacturers as rated
>by Fortune magazine. I can't remember exactly how high.
>				brazil@pawl.rpi.edu

Of course the numbers get really exciting as you go up toward #1. I'd bet
they would have to have more than 2 billion in sales to come close. So they
had better get their buns in gear. Then there is Commodore who is consistently
out performing them, but we are talking '89 so I would guess anything could
change.

--Chuck McManis

david@bdt.UUCP (David Beckemeyer) (10/25/88)

In article <1483@imagine.PAWL.RPI.EDU> brazil@pawl17.pawl.rpi.edu (Timothy E. Onders) writes:
>Atari plans to be one of the top 4 computer companies in the world in 1989,
>and I believe they will do it.
>					Timothy Onders
>					brazil@pawl.rpi.edu

Anybody have a bridge they want to sell this guy?   His he for real?
If so, where has he been the past few years?   Doesn't this sound
strikingly similar to Atari's claims around every COMDEX and CES for
the past four (or is it five) years?

Maybe someone should list all of Atari's past "dream machines" and promises
of brighter futures for old Tim here.  Can you name five?  Ten? I thought
you could.
--
David Beckemeyer (david@bdt.UUCP)	| "Lester Moore - Four slugs from a .44
Beckemeyer Development Tools		|  no Les, no more."

wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) (10/25/88)

In article <2940@vice.ICO.TEK.COM>, keithr@vice.ICO.TEK.COM (U.D.M.) writes:
> Here is a rumor I heard from a local dealer.  The lack of
> availablity of 1040STs in the US is because Atari is in production
> of 68030 machines to be unleashed at COMDEX in November.  Anyone else
> heard anything to this effect?

My dealer recently visited Atari for some sort of dealer support
conference, and when he came back, he said Atari won't be making any
more 1040STs.  The can make twice as many 520STfms as 1040STs given the
same supply of RAM chips.  It makes sense to me; the new STfms have
double sided drives and the spots on the motherboard for the second bank
of RAM chips.  The 520STfm is essentially a 1040ST minus the second bank
of RAM chips.

I've also read of the '030 machine to be released at Comdex - I can't
wait!  Cringely was "pushing" the machine in last week's InfoWorld.

--
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

"How come he didn't put `I think' at the end of it?" - James P. Hogan