[comp.sys.atari.st] Is Risk available for the ST

gibson@trwrb.UUCP (Gregory S. Gibson) (10/22/88)

Is Risk available for the st?  Thanks in advance.

Gregory Gibson
gibson@trwrb.UUCP
--
Gregory Gibson
{...ihnp4,ucbvax}!trwrb!gibson

seitz@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Matthew Eric Seitz) (10/23/88)

In article <8313@trwrb.UUCP> gibson@trwrb.UUCP (Gregory S. Gibson) writes:
>Is Risk available for the st?  Thanks in advance.

	I don't think Risk is available.  However, you might take a look at
Electronic Arts' _Lords_of_Conquest_, which was designed as a deluxe Risk.

						Matt Seitz
						seitz@cory.berkeley.edu

jjung@nunki.usc.edu (John Jung) (10/23/88)

In article <6726@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> seitz@cory.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Matthew Eric Seitz) writes:
>In article <8313@trwrb.UUCP> gibson@trwrb.UUCP (Gregory S. Gibson) writes:
>>Is Risk available for the st?  Thanks in advance.
>>
>	I don't think Risk is available.  However, you might take a look at
>Electronic Arts' _Lords_of_Conquest_, which was designed as a deluxe Risk.

  Are you insane? I tried Lords of Conquest in the store, and I think it
stinks. I had seen the ads, and I knew the graphics weren't going to be much,
but when I actually saw it, the graphics looked like *bad* Atari 8-bit
graphics. The game interfaced wasn't too bad, but I didn't like it. The sound
(which I prefered off) was bad and annoying.

  I would not reccommend this game to anybody who likes/loves Risk. I am a
devotee of Risk, and I didn't like Lords of Conquest one _single_ bit.

						John

seitz@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Matthew Eric Seitz) (10/24/88)

In article <1719@nunki.usc.edu> jjung@nunki.usc.edu (John Jung) writes:
>In article <6726@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> seitz@cory.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Matthew Eric Seitz) writes:
>>>
>>	I don't think Risk is available.  However, you might take a look at
>>Electronic Arts' _Lords_of_Conquest_, which was designed as a deluxe Risk.
>
>  Are you insane? I tried Lords of Conquest in the store, and I think it
>stinks. I had seen the ads, and I knew the graphics weren't going to be much,
>but when I actually saw it, the graphics looked like *bad* Atari 8-bit
>graphics. The game interfaced wasn't too bad, but I didn't like it. The sound
>(which I prefered off) was bad and annoying.
>
>  I would not reccommend this game to anybody who likes/loves Risk. I am a
>devotee of Risk, and I didn't like Lords of Conquest one _single_ bit.

	I wasn't trying to review or reccommend the game.  Just wanted to
mention it as a possibility, since it is the closest thing to Risk on the ST.
However, I don't think the game is as bad as you make out.  Yes, the graphics
are crude and the sound is poor.  So what?  The appeal of board games like
Risk, Chess, or Go isn't the slick visual and sound effects, it's in the
strategy and subtleties of the game itself.  Lots of bells and whistles are
a nice extra, but a solid game design, clear rules, good user interface and a
challenging opponent are the most important things.  I'm just as happy playing
PD Krabat as Chessmaster 2000, even without the 3-D board, full color, and
digitized voice.

					Hoping to be found sane,
					Matt Seitz
					seitz@cory.berkeley.edu

kerchen@iris.ucdavis.edu (Paul Kerchen) (10/24/88)

In article <1719@nunki.usc.edu> jjung@nunki.usc.edu (John Jung) writes:

>  Are you insane? I tried Lords of Conquest in the store, and I think it
>stinks. I had seen the ads, and I knew the graphics weren't going to be much,
>but when I actually saw it, the graphics looked like *bad* Atari 8-bit
>graphics. The game interfaced wasn't too bad, but I didn't like it. The sound
>(which I prefered off) was bad and annoying.
>
>  I would not reccommend this game to anybody who likes/loves Risk. I am a
						   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>devotee of Risk, and I didn't like Lords of Conquest one _single_ bit.
>
>						John

I don't have Lords of Conquest, but it seems to me that the idea
behind it and Risk is not to be an action-packed, flashy game but a
cerebral, plotting game involving strategy and thought.  All the bells
and whistles are just extra fluff.  Therefore, who cares what the
graphics look like or what noises it makes if all one is interested in
is good game of Risk?

Paul Kerchen				| kerchen@iris.ucdavis.edu

t19@nikhefh.hep.nl (Geert J v Oldenborgh) (10/24/88)

There is a Dutch version, PD, called Risky, B&W only.
Our version includes maps of the world, Canary islands and the Bijlmermeer.

G.J. van Oldenborgh, t19@nikhefh.hep.nl

jjung@sal42.usc.edu (John Jung) (10/24/88)

In article <3201@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> kerchen@iris.ucdavis.edu (Paul Kerchen) writes:
>In article <1719@nunki.usc.edu> jjung@nunki.usc.edu (John Jung) writes:
>> [stuff about how much I like Risk and hated Lords of Conquest]
>I don't have Lords of Conquest, but it seems to me that the idea
>behind it and Risk is not to be an action-packed, flashy game but a
>cerebral, plotting game involving strategy and thought.  All the bells
>and whistles are just extra fluff.  Therefore, who cares what the
>graphics look like or what noises it makes if all one is interested in
>is good game of Risk?

  I don't care about the sound or the graphics, I guess I was more disappointed
with the overall execution of Lords of Conquest. I like Risk a lot, but Lords
of Conquest doesn't have many things in common with it.

  I like cerebral games as much as the next guy (hey I love Infocom stuff), but
Lords of Conquest ain't it. I would much rather play something like Geopolitik
than Lords of Conquest any day of the week.

(Heck, I'd much rather play Risk than Geopolitik!  :-)

  Overall, I have to say, if Lords of Conquest was supposed to be Risk for the
ST's, it failed miserably. If it has some other theme, I sure as heck don't
know about it.

						John

dhawk@well.UUCP (David Hawkins) (10/26/88)

In article <1719@nunki.usc.edu> jjung@nunki.usc.edu (John Jung) writes:

>  Are you insane? I tried Lords of Conquest in the store, and I think it
>stinks. I had seen the ads, and I knew the graphics weren't going to be much,
>but when I actually saw it, the graphics looked like *bad* Atari 8-bit
>graphics. The game interfaced wasn't too bad, but I didn't like it. The sound
>(which I prefered off) was bad and annoying.

>  I would not reccommend this game to anybody who likes/loves Risk. I am a
>devotee of Risk, and I didn't like Lords of Conquest one _single_ bit.

I have to agree.  I have a review copy of Lords of Conquest and it's
awful (in my opinion, of course.)  The graphics are incredibly bad.
The worst part was the manual.  Any number of terms were not
explained well or at all.  I never got any kind of 'feel' for the
game.  There were some other problems with it, but they're in my notes
and I'm at work.

If you want an excellent game that has Risk-type elements, play
Empire.  At least the manual is thorough.  (In this case I mean
Risk-type in that it's a 'conquer the world' game.  You start with
just one city, just like the opponent, whereas in Risk and Lords of
Conquest you start with contries interspaced with the opponent's.)

later, david
--
David Hawkins       {pacbell,hplabs,ucbvax}!well!dhawk
There's one about Paddy O'Furniture, but I forget how to set it up.