[comp.sys.atari.st] Atari Diagnostic Query

silvert@dalcs.UUCP (Bill Silvert) (10/20/88)

The following is posted for the user of my BBS:

> From macmillan.j <Joe MacMillan, 88/10/16 23:49:19>
> Subject: problems servicing the atari st's

Problems Servicing the Atari St's

I1 Ram/Data Line Error 0000000000000000 0000000001011011 000008

    This inquiry is to find out more inforation about this error
message from the Atari Diagnostic Cartridge. All the service manual
said was that it is an Initalization Error and that the I1 means that the
Ram Data Line is stuck. There is no information on the rest of the code
but I figure the two groups of sixteen digits are refering to the two
groups of data lines sixteen per bank or even but not likely to the first and
second banks of RAM (1 meg. machines) sixteen chips each.
And the last part of the code (000008) Ihave not a clue.

    This is the second time I have encountered this code, both times on
520's that have been upgraded. The first an 520stfm, about six months or more
afther the upgrade was done and the second just resently on an older 520St
that was upgraded over two years ago.

    The local Atari Service Depot has not heard or seen this code before nor
has Atari Canada Service Dept. any idea what this means, (their
solution to the first machine was to replace the mother board at a
cost of $400.00 Can. rather then find out what's wrong with the machine).

    So I am putting this message out to the networks to see if someone might
have any idea of what this code means .....thank-you for any help you might
be (maybe this might get to someone at Atari,who knows).....

                       Joe MacMillan.......Halifax,n.s.

--
Bill Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division.
Bedford Institute of Oceanography, Dartmouth, NS, Canada B2Y 4A2

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) (10/23/88)

In article <3041@dalcs.UUCP> silvert@dalcs.UUCP (Bill Silvert) writes:
>> From macmillan.j <Joe MacMillan, 88/10/16 23:49:19>
>> Subject: problems servicing the atari st's

    [ lots of stuff about errors.... ]

>    The local Atari Service Depot has not heard or seen this code before nor
>has Atari Canada Service Dept. any idea what this means, (their
>solution to the first machine was to replace the mother board at a
>cost of $400.00 Can. rather then find out what's wrong with the machine).

So, I thought that the replacement cost was $95 exchange.
Does this price represent a change in policy?

--
    L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
	ljdickey@WATDCS.UWaterloo.ca	ljdickey@water.BITNET

BobR@cup.portal.com (Bob BobR Retelle) (10/24/88)

Lee Dickey asks:
>>    The local Atari Service Depot has not heard or seen this code before nor
>>has Atari Canada Service Dept. any idea what this means, (their
>>solution to the first machine was to replace the mother board at a
>>cost of $400.00 Can. rather then find out what's wrong with the machine).

>So, I thought that the replacement cost was $95 exchange.
>Does this price represent a change in policy?

The "official" exchange program involves sending your entire ST back to
Atari U.S. in California along with $95.  They will send back an l marty.a

BobR@cup.portal.com (Bob BobR Retelle) (10/24/88)

(I *must* get these fingers fixed..!)

Lee Dickey asks:

>>    The local Atari Service Depot has not heard or seen this code before nor
>>has Atari Canada Service Dept. any idea what this means, (their
>>solution to the first machine was to replace the mother board at a
>>cost of $400.00 Can. rather then find out what's wrong with the machine).

>So, I thought that the replacement cost was $95 exchange.
>Does this price represent a change in policy?

The "official" exchange program involves sending your entire ST back to
Atari U.S. in California along with $95.  They will send back a new
ST...  (the $95 is for the original 520ST, other models are higher, AND
I have no idea if the program is offered outside the U.S.)

The $400 replacement charge would be for the local service center to
actually take the machine apart and replace the motherboard...

Of course, sending your machine back to Atari can take three weeks or so...

BobR

VBRANDT@DBNUAMA1.BITNET (10/26/88)

In Info-Atari16 Digest #458, portal!cup.portal.com!BobR@uunet.uu.net
(Bob BobR Retelle) says:

>Lee Dickey asks:
>>>    The local Atari Service Depot has not heard or seen this code before nor
>>>has Atari Canada Service Dept. any idea what this means, (their
>>>solution to the first machine was to replace the mother board at a
>>>cost of $400.00 Can. rather then find out what's wrong with the machine).

>>So, I thought that the replacement cost was $95 exchange.
>>Does this price represent a change in policy?

>The "official" exchange program involves sending your entire ST back to
>Atari U.S. in California along with $95.  They will send back a new
>ST...  (the $95 is for the original 520ST, other models are higher, AND
>I have no idea if the program is offered outside the U.S.)

>Of course, sending your machine back to Atari can take three weeks or so...
>BobR

Well, it isn't, at least, not in Germany. And if you get a new motherboard
for the low price of only $400, be happy. I had to pay more than DM 300 to
get a 1040ST fixed (there were broken connections on the motherboard) with
the old board, because Atari Germany   ***REFUSED***   to sell my authorized
certified contract Atari dealer a replacement motherboard AT ANY PRICE. NONE!

And, of course, it took 8 weeks to find these broken connections (they were
beneath a chip) ...

From what I've seen and heard, Atari customer support in the US seems to be OK
if not perfect. But Atari Germany is treating customers like $#!+ !!! They have
an attitude of 'if these things sell like they do they don't need support' !

I just wish we had something like that replacement deal over here.

Bitnet:  VBRANDT@DBNUAMA1                              Volker A. Brandt
UUCP:    ...!unido!DBNUAMA1.bitnet!vbrandt             Angewandte Mathematik
ARPAnet: VBRANDT%DBNUAMA1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU       (Bonn, West Germany)

Dis-Disclaimer:  I said it, I mean it.