[comp.sys.atari.st] atari exchange

sdy@helios.cs.odu.edu (10/25/88)

  Ok, I have seen at least fifty messages saying

  "Send your <HARDWARE> to Atari exchange and pay <ODD_AMOUNT> and Atari
    will ...."

   do something with it and give you something else.

  MY QUESTION IS:  WHAT IS THE ADDRESS??  NONE of these messages give
 any sort of 1-800 number or address...

  I have 7 atari 8bit computers and 5 of them are dead.... nothing major,
 just a blown PIA here and a blown POKEY there.... but I wuld still like
 SOME support-- I can't seem to find a new atari service place around here
 since my last place disappeared.  I have tried local user groups, but
 they are slow and seem not to care too much.... shame.

  I have another side queston.... if I send atari 5 dead ataris.... can
 they put toward an ST?  Like, when you send in an old ST you get a NEW one
 (If ou send enough money...) but what is you send in ENOUGH 8bits... can you
 give ENOUGH money and ask for an ST?

 IS THERE AN 800 NUMBER I CAN CALL?

  Please respond to me directly at....
  Scott D. Yelich                                             sun!xanth!sdy
  Old Dominion University                                    sdy@cs.odu.edu
  Rogers Hall East 105                                       sdy@xanth.uucp
  1055 West 50th Street                                sdy@xanth.cs.odu.edu
  Norfolk, VA 23508                                            [128.82.8.1]

 THANK YOU!!!!
   Scott D. Yelich                              sdy@cs.odu.edu  [128.82.8.1]

BobR@cup.portal.com (Bob BobR Retelle) (10/27/88)

Scott D. Yelich asks 2 questions about the Atari Exchange program:
>MY QUESTION IS:  WHAT IS THE ADDRESS??  NONE of these messages give
>any sort of 1-800 number or address...

Well, Atari Corp doesn't HAVE an 800 numbers anymore...  unfortunately
I can't put my hands on the copy of Michigan Atari Magazine that has
the complete list of exchange prices and the address, but you could try
calling Atari Customer Service at: (408) 745-2367 or  (408) 745-5759
for more information.  They'll exchange any piece of Atari equipment for
a fee, from a 410 cassette recorder and 810 disk drive, all the way up
to a Mega ST4.  The service is *great*, and is especially helpful for
Atari owners who have nowhere else to turn to for service.

>I have another side queston.... if I send atari 5 dead ataris.... can
>they put toward an ST?

In a word, no...   you get back exactly what you send.  Atari really can't
do it any other way, because it would be competing with its dealers.
If you were to exchange all 5 dead 8-bits, you might be able to sell the
new ones you'd receive for enough to get you started on an ST.  A local
dealer is offering a "4 day Halloween" sale on a Monochrome 520STFM for
$499...  the same price I paid two years ago, but now it comes with a
Double Sided disk drive..!

BobR

danscott@atari.UUCP (Dan Scott) (10/27/88)

in article <6505@xanth.cs.odu.edu>, sdy@helios.cs.odu.edu says:

>   Ok, I have seen at least fifty messages saying
>
>   "Send your <HARDWARE> to Atari exchange and pay <ODD_AMOUNT> and Atari
>     will ...."
>
>    do something with it and give you something else.
>
>   MY QUESTION IS:  WHAT IS THE ADDRESS??  NONE of these messages give
>  any sort of 1-800 number or address...
>
>   I have 7 atari 8bit computers and 5 of them are dead.... nothing major,
>  just a blown PIA here and a blown POKEY there.... but I wuld still like
>  SOME support-- I can't seem to find a new atari service place around here
>  since my last place disappeared.  I have tried local user groups, but
>  they are slow and seem not to care too much.... shame.
>
>   I have another side queston.... if I send atari 5 dead ataris.... can
>  they put toward an ST?  Like, when you send in an old ST you get a NEW one
>  (If ou send enough money...) but what is you send in ENOUGH 8bits... can you
>  give ENOUGH money and ask for an ST?
>
>  IS THERE AN 800 NUMBER I CAN CALL?

Well first off, you can contact Atari Customer Relations @ (408) 745-2367 for
information on local dealers, users groups and Atari's return/exchange policy.

If you want to mail something in for repairs the address is:

Atari Corp.
390 Caribbean Dr.
Sunnyvale, CA  94089
Attn:  Door 17

Please pack the unit up with a return address and phone number, a letter
explaining what has gone wrong with the unit, AND a check or money order made
out to the correct amount.

As for the trade in X amount of 8-bits for an ST, sorry, Atari does not have
such a policy.  If you send in X amount of 800XLs (or what ever) in w/ the
correct amount for each ($50.00) you will get back X amount of 800XLs in
return.

Dan @ Atari

sale5312@fredonia.UUCP (Marty Saletta) (10/28/88)

Bob BobR Retelle writes:
>A local
>dealer is offering a "4 day Halloween" sale on a Monochrome 520STFM for
>$499...  the same price I paid two years ago, but now it comes with a
>Double Sided disk drive..!

   Is this going to be standard Atari policy (finally)?  I sure hope so.
 The only problem I had with my ST the first few years was the number of
 floppies I had to use for just one task (like running a compiler).  Since
 I sold my SS and got two DS drives,it's been a real joy.  Having a 1-meg
 computer with a ~350K disk drive just doesn't sound right...

--
 /    /  |\ |  /    / |  /   :   Marty Saletta @ Fredonia,NY----------
/ __ /__ | \| /__  /  | /    :   Atari ST,New York Yankees,bloody Who,

BobR@cup.portal.com (Bob BobR Retelle) (10/30/88)

Marty Saletta asked about the 520 STFM coming with a Double Sided Drive:
>Is this going to be standard Atari policy (finally)?  I sure hope so.

Yes...  Atari is now shipping all 520 STFM systems with Double Sided Disk
Drives  standard...

BobR