[comp.sys.atari.st] Transfer protocols

to_stdnet@stag.UUCP (10/26/88)

From: emh@omni.UUCP (Eric Hopper)

	Does anybody know of a modem program that has the capability of
running an outside program to do the transfer? I don't think there is such
a thing, but it would be a good idea. All you would have to do would be to
set up the transfer program to accept the filename on the command line, and
the modem program would have to pexec() it.

Eric Hopper (Omnifarious)
omni!emh@stag.UUCP

koreth@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Steven Grimm) (10/27/88)

In article <630@stag.UUCP> emh@omni.UUCP (Eric Hopper) writes:
>	Does anybody know of a modem program that has the capability of
>running an outside program to do the transfer?

QMI's "ST-Talk Professional" will allow this.  You can supply two external
file transfer programs in the system configuration, then select either from
the file transfer dialog.  One of them is labeled "Kermit", but as far as
I know you can put anything there.

---
These are my opinions, and in no way reflect those of UCSC, which are wrong.
Steven Grimm		Moderator, comp.{sources,binaries}.atari.st
koreth@ssyx.ucsc.edu	uunet!ucbvax!ucscc!ssyx!koreth

BobR@cup.portal.com (Bob BobR Retelle) (10/27/88)

Eric Hopper asks:
>Does anybody know of a modem program that has the capability of
>running an outside program to do the transfer?

Check into Interlink, a commercial telecommunications program from Intersect..
it has the ability to load an external protocol, in addition to the range
of built-in protocols.  Thus you can customize it as new implementations
and new protocols become available.

Also, there's Shadow, from ANTIC, which runs in the background and allows
file transfers which proceed transparent to most any other program.  The
authors have announced an improved version to be released soon, including
other protocols.

BobR

euloth@dalcsug.UUCP (Glenn Euloth) (10/27/88)

In article <630@stag.UUCP>, to_stdnet@stag.UUCP writes:
> From: emh@omni.UUCP (Eric Hopper)
>
> 	Does anybody know of a modem program that has the capability of
> running an outside program to do the transfer? I don't think there is such
> a thing, but it would be a good idea. All you would have to do would be to
> set up the transfer program to accept the filename on the command line, and
> the modem program would have to pexec() it.

I am not absolutely sure if this is what you mean, but, the Flash Terminal
program from Antic (and Uniterm) and so rumours go the Interlink and
ST-Talk Professional has the capability to execute another program, GEM or
other.

Now with Flash, you can basically do the transfer using a different program
such as Shadow, or the Zmodem program (SZ/RZ). The Shadow program sounds
more like what I think you mean. It is the background transfer utility for
the Flash program and I believe usable with other systems. The Zmodem
programs can be used with Flash by going and using the command line and
executing a command, EXEC programname parameters.  Now the Shadow program
works automatically.

I haven't worked with it, but I understand Interlink has a program that
allows it to work with a background task as well. Uniterm and ST-Talk Pro
both have the capability to execute outside programs as well as far as I
know. You should be able to work with TTP programs such as RZ/SZ the
Zmodem transfer programs. Is that what you meant?

* euloth@dalcsug.uucp  || Disclaimer: All opinions are my own unless other-   *
* /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ ||             wise noted.			      *
****AKA: Atari Nut*************************************************************

to_stdnet@stag.UUCP (10/27/88)

From: thelake!steve@stag.UUCP (Steve Yelvington)

  emh@omni.UUCP (Eric Hopper) writes...

> 	Does anybody know of a modem program that has the capability of
> running an outside program to do the transfer? I don't think there is such
> a thing, but it would be a good idea. All you would have to do would be to
> set up the transfer program to accept the filename on the command line, and
> the modem program would have to pexec() it.

Vanterm works that way, at least in the version I tried nine or ten months
ago. It execs Tom Zerucha's wxytr.ttp command-driven file-transfer utility.

I don't see why it would be a good idea, though. As a kludge, I used the
technique in my own comm program before I figured out how to get Dale
Schumacher's xmodem routines through Mark Johnson's C compiler. It was a
pain in the neck to have to load the xfer routines from disk every time I
sent or received a file. When I got Dale's code to compile, I gladly
abandoned wxytr (which has the advantage of windowing xmodem) in favor of
instant response from the built-in routines.

  | thelake!steve@stag.UUCP / ...rosevax!pwcs!stag!thelake!steve

uace0@uhnix2.uh.edu (Michael B. Vederman) (10/28/88)

Thanks for the kind words about SHADOW, Bob.  But before any false rumors are
spread...

We are planning a future version which will allow spooling to disk in the
background, but it will probably not be released until late 1st quarter 1989.

At his point, we don't have any plans to add any more protocols.
(Although I'd enjoy Kermit.)

Our newest version (v 1.10) will be available starting this weekend as a patch
program, and includes:

Increased transfer information.
Hangup string from terminal.
NON RESET PROOF version (same program) to conserve memory.
Desk Accessory that can also run as a stand-alone program (again to conserve).
(You must run the handler at all times to get transfers, but you could now
run everything from the desktop when you wanted it!  Or just install the handler
from the AUTO folder all the time - uses about 17K).
Other features, enhancements...

- mike and paul

--
for (;;)                              : Use ATARINET, send an interactive
        do_it(c_programmers);         : message such as:

poole@forty2.UUCP (Simon Poole) (10/29/88)

In article <630@stag.UUCP> to_stdnet@stag.UUCP writes:
>	Does anybody know of a modem program that has the capability of
>running an outside program to do the transfer? I don't think there is such
>a thing, but it would be a good idea. All you would have to do would be to
>set up the transfer program to accept the filename on the command line, and
>the modem program would have to pexec() it.

UniTerm can do this without problem, you can even set up a macro to display
a fileselector to get the filename (if it's a .TTP program, UniTerm will
prompt for a command line). I actually hacked up a version of zmodem to do
this sometime ago.

UUCP:   ...mcvax!cernvax!forty2!poole			Simon Poole
BITNET: K538915@CZHRZU1A

gp@ohsu-hcx.UUCP (glen plam) (10/31/88)

In article <10534@cup.portal.com> BobR@cup.portal.com (Bob BobR Retelle) writes:
>Eric Hopper asks:
>>Does anybody know of a modem program that has the capability of
>>running an outside program to do the transfer?

There is one other way to do this.  Find some acc type transfer programs
like kermit.acc or something like that.  I have a x,y, and z public domain
acc transfer programs.  I'm sure you can find them at your local bbs site
if not I think I can drop to ya in e-mail if you like.

glen (dare I say) a liberal and proud of it.