[comp.sys.atari.st] background file transfer

MAXG@SUVM.BITNET (gerry greenberg) (10/20/88)

Does anyone out there know a phone number or email address for Double
Click Software?  They are the people who put together Shadow, which is
marketed by The Catalog/Antic.  Or... does anyone know the actual
authors of Shadow?  Finally, if someone is able to help me accomplish
what I'd like to accomplish, then all of that info will be unnecessary:
I am trying to do background file transfers in Kermit running the
MagicSac on a 1meg 520ST.  I've tried to find out from Mac people
whether this is possible on a 512K Mac, but the only answer I get is
that you need to use Multifinder and 2Meg is recommended....That leaves
me out of luck.  If Shadow can accomplish this for the ST, why can't it
be done on the Mac?  Perhaps there is a PD program out there that will
do this...maybe professional software companies never saw enough of a market
for this, and now that Multifinder is here, they're thinking "why
bother?".  Anyway, any help in this area will be greatly
appreciated...reply to me at email address on bitnet or via the net.
Thanks--Gerry

MAXG@SUVM.BITNET (Gerry Greenberg) (10/21/88)

In the event that it is impossible to accomplish what I asked about in
previous note (i.e. background kermit file transfer using the Magic
Sac), is it possible to use a buffer to do file transfers the way a
printer buffer is used?  Ultimately I'd like an answer that relates to
the Magic Sac, but even a general answer for the ST by itself would be
of interest.  Thanks very much in advance for any input on these topics.

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (10/22/88)

In article <8810202018.AA28710@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> MAXG@SUVM.BITNET
(Gerry Greenberg) writes:
> In the event that it is impossible to accomplish what I asked about in
> previous note (i.e. background kermit file transfer using the Magic
> Sac), is it possible to use a buffer to do file transfers the way a
> printer buffer is used?  Ultimately I'd like an answer that relates to
> the Magic Sac, but even a general answer for the ST by itself would be
> of interest.  Thanks very much in advance for any input on these topics.

Shadow from Double-Click Software does what you're after.  It's a
combination of a reset-surviving buffer and a desk-accessory driver, and
you can start a transfer (ASCII, XMODEM, or YMODEM-batch), then go do
something else while the transfer is going on.

You can even reset your machine -- when it comes up again, the transfer
will continue without a hitch.  I've never tried this, but I don't know
why it wouldn't work.

(As usual, I have no connection with Double Click...  I use Shadow to
get files from GEnie, mostly because Flash doesn't have Ymodem-batch.)

BobR@cup.portal.com (Bob BobR Retelle) (10/22/88)

Gerry Greenberg asked about background file transfers on the ST, and
specifically in relation to the Magic Sac...

There is a commercial product called SHADOW, available from ANTIC, which
works quite well on the ST, allowing background file transfers which are
compatible with most other ST programs.  In the current version, you must
allocate a buffer as large as the largest file you expect to download,
because the program does not download directly to disk (you might have
changed disks to run a different application while the d/l proceeds
in the background), but the authors are working on a revision which *will*
allow downloading to disk in the background...

Also, there *is* a Macintosh accessory (called something like "Backgrounder"
I think) which is supposed to do much the same thing, but Serial I/O is one
of the weak spots of the Magic Sac, and I highly doubt that it would work
(although I've never tried it.. it might be worth checking some Mac libraries
to give it a try...)

Dave Small has said that his new Spectre-128 Mac emulator has vastly
improved serial I/O handling, so you might want to contact him directly for
more info (he's available on the net at the Well, but I dunno his exact
address... Dave..???)

BobR

danscott@atari.UUCP (Dan Scott) (10/24/88)

in article <8810191945.AA07169@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, MAXG@SUVM.BITNET (gerry greenberg) says:

> Does anyone out there know a phone number or email address for Double
> Click Software?  They are the people who put together Shadow, which is
> marketed by The Catalog/Antic.  Or... does anyone know the actual
> authors of Shadow?  Finally, if someone is able to help me accomplish
> what I'd like to accomplish, then all of that info will be unnecessary:
> I am trying to do background file transfers in Kermit running the
> MagicSac on a 1meg 520ST.  I've tried to find out from Mac people
> whether this is possible on a 512K Mac, but the only answer I get is
> that you need to use Multifinder and 2Meg is recommended....That leaves
> me out of luck.  If Shadow can accomplish this for the ST, why can't it
> be done on the Mac?  Perhaps there is a PD program out there that will
> do this...maybe professional software companies never saw enough of a market
> for this, and now that Multifinder is here, they're thinking "why
> bother?".  Anyway, any help in this area will be greatly
> appreciated...reply to me at email address on bitnet or via the net.
> Thanks--Gerry

If the responce you are getting is that you need to use muli-finder then the
problem may not be with either the ST or the Magic Sac, but with the Apple
OS itself.  If the system is so rigid in its guidlines that you cannot
have an application running in the background then you may be out of luck.

The authors for Shadow are Paul Lee and Michael Vederman.  I don't have
their phone number or address.  You might consider contacting Antic Magazine
@ (415) 957-0886 and see if they have any information they can forward to you.

Dan Scott

uace0@uhnix2.uh.edu (Michael B. Vederman) (10/25/88)

We are the authors of SHADOW.  SHADOW at present will not do background
Kermit (something I wish it did do! - mike).  It can, however, perform
all xmodem and y-modem protocols, as well as CompuServe B/B+ Protocol.

The newest version (v1.10) should be released this month sometime.  For more
info, contact your local ANTIC Software distributor.

- mike and paul
Double Click Software

--
for (;;)                              : Use ATARINET, send an interactive
        do_it(c_programmers);         : message such as:

covertr@gtephx.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) (10/26/88)

I am glad to see you all at Double Click Software are on USENET!!
Did you know that your DC STUFFER won't work with the Atari laser printer's
Diabl emulator?? Is there anything that you can do to fix either your program,
or to patch the Diablo emulator??
Thanks for an otherwsie fine product!!

richard(cursing the slm804) covert!!

covertr@gtephx.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) (10/26/88)

> (As usual, I have no connection with Double Click...  I use Shadow to
> get files from GEnie, mostly because Flash doesn't have Ymodem-batch.)

> Opinions expressed above do not necessarily	-- Allan Pratt, Atari Corp.
> reflect those of Atari Corp. or anyone else.	  ...ames!atari!apratt

I beg to differ with you Allan but FLASH does have ymodem batch xfers.
You type in DL YB as a command and you have ymodem batch. It has
been in FLASH since at least version 1.50.

I really like FLASH and use it exclusively. Interlink has a poor manual
that doesn't describe how to use the recorder.

richard (When will Atari fix the Diablo emulator)covert

uace0@uhnix2.uh.edu (Michael B. Vederman) (10/27/88)

Previous question asked: Can you make DC STuffer compatible with the Atari
Laser Printer Diablo Emulator DA?

1) We don't have the DA,
2) We don't have a laser printer (wish we did!)
3) Atari will fix it soon (I'm sure... such a silly mistake...)

If we happen to get our hands on the emulator, we will try to work around the
bug.

-------

For those of you on the net who are wondering what is DC STuffer...
DC STuffer is a desk accessory which allows you to load in more than 6 DAs
and have them run, just like you are using the desktop.
DC STuffer is SHAREWARE, and we will be sending it and DC Formatter 3.0 to
comp.sys.atari.binaries this weekend.

- mike, paul, and keith

--
for (;;)                              : Use ATARINET, send an interactive
        do_it(c_programmers);         : message such as:
                                      : Tell UH-INFO at UHUPVM1 ATARINET HELP
University Atari Computer Enthusiasts : University of Houston UACE

MAXG@SUVM.BITNET (Gerry Greenberg) (10/31/88)

      In earlier messages I asked about Double Click Software and
whether or not anyone knew about a program for the Mac that does
background file transfer with Kermit protocol.  In the event the latter
didn't exist, I was intending to ask the people at Double Click whether
or not Shadow could be modified somehow to work for the Mac.
Well, I'm now giving up my search and I'd like to thank all who
responded to me via email and via the net.  I finally found a program
called "background downloader" at a local Mac users group and an
upgraded version of this on Genie called "background delta+2"...this
discovery was accelerated by Bob Retelle's note to the net.  This
program is supposed to allow downloading of files via Xmodem in the
background...I say "supposed to" because as Bob Retelle suspected, both
versions crashed the Sac :-(.  Could someone try them with Spectre128
and let me know how they do?...even if they work, I still need support
for Kermit, not Xmodem.
Thanks once again to all.  I guess this just wasn't meant to be. --Gerry