[comp.sys.atari.st] Clarification of 'Transfer protocols'

to_stdnet@stag.UUCP (10/29/88)

From: omni!emh@stag.UUCP (Eric Hopper)

In my previous message I wrote:

> 	Does anybody know of a modem program that has the capability of
> running an outside program to do the transfer? I don't think there is such
> a thing, but it would be a good idea. All you would have to do would be to
> set up the transfer program to accept the filename on the command line, and
> the modem program would have to pexec() it.

	No, I don't mean being able to execute outside programs with a
special command, I mean being able to have a library of files with .mod
endings (or something similar) that the modem program will recognize. The
program will then list the first eight letters of such program names in the
transfer menu. You can select which program to run just by selecting a
transfer protocol. The program would pass the name of the file to transfer,
and whether the transfer was an upload or download on the command line.

	The key is that it would all be transparent. To you it would seem
like the transfer protocol was built in (except for the disk access). The
program should have protocols like Xmodem, Ymodem, and ascii built in, but
you could add any transfer protocol as a separate program.

	The .mod files would not be in a special format, they would just be
.ttp files with .mod endings insted.

Eric Hopper (Omnifarious) Don't try to send to me @omni, as it is
completely unkown to any system except stag.
omni!emh@stag.UUCP  or  {... rosevax, ems, umn-cs}!pwcs!stag!omni!emh
/*****************************************************************************/
/* All opinions presented here are the result of my enviroment, or heredity. */
/* If you don't like them you only have yourselves or my parents to blame.   */
/*****************************************************************************/
   ____                  \* "I went insane to  */                          _
  /.  .\                 \* preserve my sanity */  /\                     /
 (  \/  )  /\/\  |/\  .  \* for later."        */  |   _          _       \
  \____/  |    | |  | |    \*  Ford Prefect  */   --- / \  |/\ . / \ | |   \
                            \****************/     |  \_/\ |   | \_/ \_/\ _/
 /****************************************************************************/

euloth@dalcsug.UUCP (Glenn Euloth) (10/29/88)

In article <634@stag.UUCP>, to_stdnet@stag.UUCP writes:
> From: omni!emh@stag.UUCP (Eric Hopper)
>
> In my previous message I wrote:
>
> > 	Does anybody know of a modem program that has the capability of
> > running an outside program to do the transfer? I don't think there is such
> > a thing, but it would be a good idea. All you would have to do would be to
 I believe you are right that there isn't such a program. It would be
 interesting to have such a program, but what a mess for the programmer
 and it definitely would have to be one integrated system unless the
 protocols for passing of these parameters were clearly defined. Why
 on earth would you want something like this anyway? Actually I think
 (but haven't used it so am unsure) that Interlink was doing something
 similar to this idea. Not too sure how successful it has been. From
 what I have seen there have been several add-on protocols available
 for downloading on various bbs's for the Interlink system.

> 	No, I don't mean being able to execute outside programs with a
> special command, I mean being able to have a library of files with .mod
> endings (or something similar) that the modem program will recognize. The
> program will then list the first eight letters of such program names in the
> transfer menu. You can select which program to run just by selecting a
> transfer protocol. The program would pass the name of the file to transfer,
> and whether the transfer was an upload or download on the command line.
>
> 	The key is that it would all be transparent. To you it would seem

How transparent is this going to be? You still have to pass it the various
filenames and whether it is an upload or download. I find that the way
Flash has it designed, you can use the EXEC command and then specify if
you want to use, say, SZ.TTP, you select that one, and give it the name of
the file. Basically that is what you are asking for isn't it? The way I see
your request is that you would have to do a lot of customizing as a means
of configuring say the Terminal program to use certain file names for
upload and others for download, and you only specified the .mod extension.
So you still, if there is one program for doing both, have to tell it to
see only the uploading programs or the downloading programs. You wouldn't
want to have ALL the .mod file show up and select the wrong one by mistake.

* euloth@dalcsug.uucp  || Disclaimer: All opinions are my own unless other-   *
* /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ ||             wise noted.			      *
****AKA: Atari Nut*************************************************************

BobR@cup.portal.com (Bob BobR Retelle) (10/31/88)

Referring to a question about a terminal program which would call an
external program to do an actual file transfer, Glenn Euloth says:
> I believe you are right that there isn't such a program.

Actually, this is how VANTERM works...  the *only* "transfer protocol"
built into VANTERM is simple ASCII capture.  For any other kind of
file transfers, the terminal program calls an external program which must
exist separately somewhere on the system.  The author's reasoning for this
is "why re-invent the wheel?"

I've only used VANTERM once or twice, so I don't remember exactly how it
handles passing the parameters to the external protocol, but I don't
remember it being very different, if at all, from a "self-contained"
program like FLASH...

I don't know if my E-Mail about Interlink will get through to Eric Hopper,
so I'll just mention here that he should try to find VANTERM too... it's
a ShareWare product and is available on many local BBSs.

BobR