[comp.sys.atari.st] Aladin?

euloth@dalcsug.UUCP (George Seto) (10/18/88)

Can anyone out there in the European sphere tell me anything about
the Aladdin(sp?) MAC emulator for the Atari ST?

I heard mention of it and wondered about it as to compatibility with
MAC and Magic Sac and the likelihood of being compatible with the
upcoming Spectre-128?

Also how good is it, and what do they do for ROMS from the MAC?

.

* euloth@dalcsug.uucp  || Disclaimer: All opinions are my own unless other-   *
* /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ ||             wise noted.			      *
****AKA: Atari Nut*************************************************************

hase@netmbx.UUCP (Hartmut Semken) (10/21/88)

In article <157@dalcsug.UUCP> euloth@dalcsug.UUCP (George Seto) writes:
>Can anyone out there in the European sphere tell me anything about
>the Aladdin(sp?) MAC emulator for the Atari ST?
>I heard mention of it and wondered about it as to compatibility with
>MAC and Magic Sac and the likelihood of being compatible with the
>upcoming Spectre-128?
>Also how good is it, and what do they do for ROMS from the MAC?

Spelling: Aladin (one 'd').

They use a ROM cartridge (with some kind of GAL or PAL as "copy
protection) for the ROMs (or EPROMs if you like... :-)

The Aladin is not compatible with the Sac or Spectre :-(
It is more stable than the Sac :-)

The Aladin was not availeble for a while: Apple Germany did not like a
cheap, stable Mac compatible system...

It's now sold in the Netherlands (where Apple Germany can't do a
lot...). Versions using the Hard Disk and the 128K ROMs are promised
(availeble probably after the CeBIT).

hase
--
Hartmut Semken, Lupsteiner Weg 67, 1000 Berlin 37 hase@netmbx.UUCP
If there is something more important than my ego, I want it caught and shot,

dsmall@well.UUCP (David Small) (10/26/88)

[The base question is about the Aladin Mac emulator].
 {I hope no one minds if I summarize the question like this -- saves
many lines over simply copying & indenting it.}

Both the Aladin and Magic Sac were 64K ROM emulators. I wrote Magic Sac;
some good programmers in Germany wrote Aladin. Each had its strong points.
For instance, Aladin did the serial driver correctly, so many modem programs
worked with it that didn't on Magic Sac. Magic Sac supported the hard disk,
which Aladin did not. Regrettably, European distribution of newer
Magic Sacs, which fixed many, many bugs, broke down, thus the Magic Sacs in
Europe aren'tcommonly running the best software (version 6.1).

Spectre 128 is my second try at Mac emulation. The cartridge accepts either
64K or 128K ROMs. It can thus run all the software requiring{ 128K ROMs,
such as Hypercard, MacPaint 2.0, Adobe Illustrator, etc. It is far faster
than Magic Sac on either floppy or hard disk; it benchmarks *even*
{with a *Mac II* on the hard disk.

  I'm no longer associated with the company that makes Magic Sac, although I
do answer tech questions just to help out (as does Dan Moore sometimes.)

  That's a quick summary of the Aladin, Magic Sac, and Spectre 128, in
a mere 37 lines! *grin*

 -- Thanks, Dave Small
Gadgets By Small, Inc. / 40 W. Littleton Blvd, #210-211 / Littleton, CO 80120
well!dsmall / dsmall!portal / GEnie: davesmall / CIS: 76606,666 / BIX: dsmall
wife: "Hey, you!"

markhof@exunido.uucp (Ingolf Markhof) (10/31/88)

In article <1553@netmbx.UUCP> hase@netmbx.UUCP (Hartmut Semken) writes:

>The Aladin is not compatible with the Sac or Spectre :-(

But it is possible to read Sac-Disk with Aladin. So it's possible to use
Mac Programm you have on a Sac Disk!

Ingolf Markhof.
(markhof@exunido.UUCP)