[comp.sys.atari.st] Floppy Disk Controller Chips

willing@EE.UCLA.EDU (Scott D. Willingham) (10/30/88)

Can anyone tell me where I may purchase a new WD1772 Floppy
Disk Controller Chip for my ST?  My local Atari dealer needs
some kind of Atari part number to help me.  Having a Master's
degree in EE, it is much more convenient for me to obtain a
chip and replace it myself than to play games with Atari and
dealers.  Please note that I have nothing against Atari or its
dealers (on this issue at least).  I just don't require their
special services.  I hope that I can resolve this soon as I
have no recent backups of my hard disk.

Thanks for any help.
Scott D. Willingham

BobR@cup.portal.com (Bob BobR Retelle) (11/01/88)

Scott Willingham asks:
>Can anyone tell me where I may purchase a new WD1772 Floppy
>Disk Controller Chip for my ST?

Scott... pick up an issue of BYTE Magazine, and check out the ads in the
back... a lot of suppliers should either list the WD1772 in the ads, or
may carry that chip, even if it's not listed...   It's worth a few calls to
find one...!

BobR

kevinj@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Kevin Jackson) (11/01/88)

In article <8810300034.AA09539@ee.UCLA.EDU> (Scott D. Willingham) writes:
>Can anyone tell me where I may purchase a new WD1772 Floppy
>Disk Controller Chip for my ST?  My local Atari dealer needs

Best Electronics in San Jose carries the WD1772 ($18).  Their address/phone is:

		Best Electronics
		2021 The Alameda, Suite 290
		San Jose, CA 95126
		(408) 243-6950

They also have quite a selection of other atari hardware and parts.  They
could probably send you a catalog if you ask for one.

kevinj						kevinj@refuge.colorado.edu
(Kevin M. Jackson)				ncar!boulder!refuge!kevinj