[comp.sys.atari.st] STonehenge PRESS RELEASE

rnss@ihuxy.ATT.COM (Ron Schreiner) (10/22/88)

If you don't believe press releases are appropreate on the net
then stop reading now.

                                                    October 21, 1988

          Contact: Ron Schreiner  (312) 520-8003
                   RONSAT Technologies Inc.
                   368 Lexington Drive.
                   Buffalo Grove, IL.  60089

          FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

          STonehenge
          Atari ST Memory Expansion Alternative.

          A solid state disk drive for the Atari ST is now available
          as a kit from RONSAT Technologies Inc.  The STonehenge
          kit, based on an "Application Specific Integrated Circuit"
          (ASIC), emulates a hard disk by interfacing the ST's DMA
          port with a block of DRAM.

          The STonehenge advantages over internal memory expansion
          include; ability to utilize lower cost 200 nano second
          DRAM parts; memory expansion in 256KB increments (8
          DRAMs/bank); does not depend on the ST's power supply;
          it's external, you don't take your ST apart; data is
          preserved even though a ST power cycle.

          When the kit is fully assembled it provides up to 2 meg of
          very fast external storage.  If you need more that 2 meg,
          the DMA pass thru feature can be utilized to dasiy chain
          more kits or mechanical hard drives.

          Software developers will find that STonehenge's speed and
          after crash data integrity make it a very attractive place
          to keep their development tools.  Animators will enjoy
          STonehenge's ability to sequence image files at animation
          rates.

          The STonehenge kit priced at $169.95 includes;

            a.  STonehenge ASIC,
            b.  Double sided PCB,
            c.  20MHZ crystal,
            d.  DB-19 connector,
            e.  Documentation,
            f.  Software,
            g.  PGA socket for the ASIC.

          The Documentation and Software can be ordered separately
          for $10.00 (refundable with future purchase).

          The builder of the kit must provide the DRAMs, a 5V 2A
          power supply, and a few miscellaneous components that are
          readily available from electronic suppliers.

          Additional support kits that provide all the components
          are also available.

          For more information or to order contact RONSAT
          Technologies Inc.  Voice: (312) 520-8003  Modem: (312)
          520-7812 Orders placed by modem receive a 5% discount.
          Dial-in (312) 520-7812, hit carriage return <return or
          enter> until "Login: " is the prompt, then enter
          "info"<return>.

          ***
--
Ron Schreiner   AT&T Bell Labs  ...ihnp4!ihuxy!rnss

mce@pbsdts.UUCP (Mark Edwards) (10/23/88)

[ line eater munchies ]

	DRAM is added 8 chips at a time...which means no parity protection.
The product sounds fine except for this omission.  Is it too late to fix?
--
Mark C. Edwards             voice:      619/586-2204
Associate Systems Analyst   unix:       mce@pbsdts.pacbell.com

rnss@ihuxy.ATT.COM (Ron Schreiner) (10/25/88)

In article <336@pbsdts.UUCP> mce@pbsdts.pacbell.com.PacBell.COM (Mark Edwards) writes:

>	DRAM is added 8 chips at a time...which means no parity protection.
>The product sounds fine except for this omission.  Is it too late to fix?

I would prefer to say that it is to late to enhance!  however the clever
never say never.  The silicon and the PCB are final versions, but I would
guess that an add on is possible.  The docs include a schemo, so hack if you
dare.

--
Ron Schreiner   AT&T Bell Labs  ...ihnp4!ihuxy!rnss

wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) (10/27/88)

In article <336@pbsdts.UUCP>, mce@pbsdts.UUCP (Mark Edwards) writes:
> 	DRAM is added 8 chips at a time...which means no parity protection.
> The product sounds fine except for this omission.  Is it too late to fix?

DRAM is definitely NOT added to the ST 8 chips at a time.  Due to the
16-bit memory bus on the 68000, the chips are added *16* at a time.  You
are correct in stating that the ST does not use parity-checked RAM, but
on systems like the IBM PC, the parity bit really doesn't gain you
anything.

--
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

"How come he didn't put `I think' at the end of it?" - James P. Hogan

rnss@ihuxy.ATT.COM (Ron Schreiner) (11/02/88)

In article <239@obie.UUCP> wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) writes:
 >In article <336@pbsdts.UUCP>, mce@pbsdts.UUCP (Mark Edwards) writes:
 >> 	DRAM is added 8 chips at a time...which means no parity protection.
 >> The product sounds fine except for this omission.  Is it too late to fix?

 >DRAM is definitely NOT added to the ST 8 chips at a time.  Due to the

Right, DRAM is NOT added to the ST 8 chips at a time, but it is added
to the STonehenge RAM Drive 8 chips at a time.

--
Ron Schreiner   AT&T Bell Labs  ...att!ihuxy!rnss